Question Worth upgrading to 32gb?

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I recently upgraded my system with a 4070 super. I'm thinking about upgrading my ram from 3200mhz cl15 16gb to 3600mhz cl18 32gb. I can't find 3600mhz cl16 ram for a reasonable price where I live. A 32gb kit will cost me around $110 new and $80 used.
I do run a pretty debloated windows and I never have more than a tab or two running while gaming. I do plan on playing some "heavier" titles, but wonder if spending $110/$80 will be a waste of money. My cpu is a 5800x3d.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those are quite high prices, where are you at?

$68 in the US for the cheapest 3600 CL16 2x16GB kit.

If you are running into memory limits while gaming, sure. There are quite a few games that would prefer more than 16GB today and you may gain a significant boost in things like 1% lows. However, an X3D chip solves a lot of RAM capacity issues just by having the extra cache, preventing memory calls, the reason they are superior for gaming.

Look for 4000 and 4400 kits as well sometimes they are priced relatively low, you can always run them at 3600 with tighter timings if you don't mind the tweaking.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Those are quite high prices, where are you at?

$68 in the US for the cheapest 3600 CL16 2x16GB kit.

If you are running into memory limits while gaming, sure. There are quite a few games that would prefer more than 16GB today and you may gain a significant boost in things like 1% lows. However, an X3D chip solves a lot of RAM capacity issues just by having the extra cache, preventing memory calls, the reason they are superior for gaming.

Look for 4000 and 4400 kits as well sometimes they are priced relatively low, you can always run them at 3600 with tighter timings if you don't mind the tweaking.
I live in Norway where the selection and prices arent very good. I guess I'll wait as I'm not having any issues for now. Maybe pick some up if some go on sale.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds reasonable.

DDR4 production will start to ramp down and the lower prices of today may not last. They are still selling a lot of AM4 and DDR4 Intel boards, so should be a few years yet.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Sounds reasonable.

DDR4 production will start to ramp down and the lower prices of today may not last. They are still selling a lot of AM4 and DDR4 Intel boards, so should be a few years yet.
My motherboard is a Asus Rog b450-f. Will it be able to handle 4600mhz ram or will it have stability issues? I could get my hands on a 4600mhz kit used for a decent price.