[SOLVED] Worth Upgrading

jeb90

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Back in early-2014, I put together a PC. In the intervening years, I got a new graphics card; and added a SSD.

This leaves me with basically the following PC:

Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4 GHz
ASRock B85 Pro4
Rosewill Hive Series 550w
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb
16gb DDR3 (4 x 4gb)

I assume that hardware has advanced considerably in the last 6+ years. But I'm wondering if it is worth making a modest (>$500) upgrade to something or wait and do a completely new build at some point in the indefinite future. (I'm putting this in the CPU forum under the assumption that is the most likely thing to need to be upgraded, but I welcome all thoughts).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Thank you, although I don't see anything selected at the link you provided. Am I missing something?

That said, the build guides there seem to suggest that I want either a Ryzen 5 3600 or an i5-9600. Is that right? I've always bought intel, but I'm not that into brand loyalty. It does look like I could get either, plus a new motherboard and memory, in the $400-$500 range, so that sounds about right.

I assume that the performance difference between the i5-4670 (which I have) and the 9600 is substantial (it seems weird to "upgrade" from an i5 to an i5).
wrong link , sorry . I think this is the right one https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R8jrmg . yes the intel CPU that you are saying is even a bit better in games nowadays...

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
You could upgrade your CPU and PSU in first place than later on when new consoles came out I would buy a new GPU (anyway hat GPU will run most games yet) .with more or less 400 to 500 dolars you can buy a new MoTherboard +CPU+ddr4 RAM if you go to AMD AM4 socket .

jeb90

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
You could upgrade your CPU and PSU in first place than later on when new consoles came out I would buy a new GPU (anyway hat GPU will run most games yet) .with more or less 400 to 500 dolars you can buy a new MoTherboard +CPU+ddr4 RAM if you go to AMD AM4 socket .

Thanks for replying. What would you recommend I look at? I admit I'm largely unfamiliar with AMD CPUs. Also, would switching from Intel to AMD need that I have to reinstall Windows?

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
If you upgrade your CPU to a higher generation (say 7xxx or 9xxx), it could not be compatible with your motherboard anymore (could be the other way around).

If you switch to AMD, you'll of course have to buy a new mobo. If you get a new mobo, you'll also have to get a new windows license.

jeb90

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
If you upgrade your CPU to a higher generation (say 7xxx or 9xxx), it could not be compatible with your motherboard anymore (could be the other way around).

If you switch to AMD, you'll of course have to buy a new mobo. If you get a new mobo, you'll also have to get a new windows license.

Really? I thought I could, at the very least, reinstall my windows on a new system. I was hoping to not even do that, but I understand that there could be issues with drivers etc. Having to buy Windows again will certainly eat up a good chunk of a $500 budget.

In any event, are there any specifics that you all would recommend for a CPU upgrade? Something that would allow upgrade the GPU (only) in the mid-future, but not break the bank?

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
You could go for the Intel Core i7-4790K (make sure it's the LGA 1150 socket-version), since that this is the highest CPU your motherboard supports (only 4th gen).

If you really want to swap to AMD, and you'll have to buy windows again: You can get them cheap on other sites. The keys they sell come from old pc's that aren't used anymore (as I'm told).

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks for replying. What would you recommend I look at? I admit I'm largely unfamiliar with AMD CPUs. Also, would switching from Intel to AMD need that I have to reinstall Windows?
you have an example here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ . and yes since you have to change motherboard you have to reeinstall windows , any hardware change will be always better reeinstall windows anyway ,but in this case you are forced to reeinstall windows .

jeb90

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
you have an example here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ . and yes since you have to change motherboard you have to reeinstall windows , any hardware change will be always better reeinstall windows anyway ,but in this case you are forced to reeinstall windows .

Thank you, although I don't see anything selected at the link you provided. Am I missing something?

That said, the build guides there seem to suggest that I want either a Ryzen 5 3600 or an i5-9600. Is that right? I've always bought intel, but I'm not that into brand loyalty. It does look like I could get either, plus a new motherboard and memory, in the $400-$500 range, so that sounds about right.

I assume that the performance difference between the i5-4670 (which I have) and the 9600 is substantial (it seems weird to "upgrade" from an i5 to an i5).

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

wrong link , sorry . I think this is the right one https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R8jrmg . yes the intel CPU that you are saying is even a bit better in games nowadays, but on multitasking , productivity or streaming the AMD R5 3600 will be better because it have more threads , so the intel one is only better on gaming and not by much . the AMD will give you a more future proof CPU for less money . AMD lately is making very good CPU´s for the money .

And yes that two I5 have a lot of difference in performance , there´s a difference between 4th and 9th gen . the things change a lot , I can make a console analogy , is like upgrading from a ps3 to a ps4 ... it´s been 6 years since one gen to another on that CPU´s .

Solution

jeb90

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
wrong link , sorry . I think this is the right one https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R8jrmg . yes the intel CPU that you are saying is even a bit better in games nowadays, but on multitasking , productivity or streaming the AMD R5 3600 will be better because it have more threads , so the intel one is only better on gaming and not by much . the AMD will give you a more future proof CPU for less money . AMD lately is making very good CPU´s for the money .

And yes that two I5 have a lot of difference in performance , there´s a difference between 4th and 9th gen . the things change a lot , I can make a console analogy , is like upgrading from a ps3 to a ps4 ... it´s been 6 years since one gen to another on that CPU´s .

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Back in early-2014, I put together a PC. In the intervening years, I got a new graphics card; and added a SSD.

This leaves me with basically the following PC:

Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4 GHz
ASRock B85 Pro4
Rosewill Hive Series 550w
EVGA GTX 1060 6gb
16gb DDR3 (4 x 4gb)

I assume that hardware has advanced considerably in the last 6+ years. But I'm wondering if it is worth making a modest (>$500) upgrade to something or wait and do a completely new build at some point in the indefinite future. (I'm putting this in the CPU forum under the assumption that is the most likely thing to need to be upgraded, but I welcome all thoughts).

Thanks in advance!
New CPU, Mobo and RAM need to upgrade
the rest still ok