Worthwhile to upgrade my Ram?

Nov 11, 2018
While reading more about my mobo, I found out that my current ram won't be near the 3000 due to the ryzen 7 and something like the G-skill flare x series ddr4 3200 cas 14 (2x8 gb) would be much better. However would this upgrade be noticeable for gaming and such?

My current setup is:

My desktop setup is:
Mobo: Gigabyte aorus Ga-ax370-gaming-k7 (rev. 1.0)
Cpu: Ryzen 7 1700x
Gpu: Msi gtx 970 gaming 4g golden edition
Ram: Corsair vengeance Lpx ddr4 3000 cas 15 16gb( 2x 8gb)
Psu: Rosewell glacier series 850w modular gaming

Solution
The CAS 14 modules WILL reduce the true latency somewhat, but probably not enough to notice in anything other than synthetic benchmarks IF you are currently able to run the sticks you already have at 3000mhz as well. CAS 14 vs CAS 16 at the same speed is not enough to justify buying a whole new set of sticks UNLESS you cannot get your current sticks to run at the speed they should run at.

Also, on this motherboard the profile settings ARE called XMP, Extreme memory profile, and you will likely want to select the Profile 1 settings if you have not already.

If as Dugimodo says you have troubles with the XMP profile, you WILL want to make absolutely certain you have the memory installed in the A2 and B2 slots, 2nd and 4th from the CPU...
If you update your motherboard bios to the latest version and then enable the XMP/AMP profile for the memory in the bios, there is no reason that those Corsair 3000mhz sticks can't run at 3000mhz. Make sure they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Assuming you can clock your RAM at 3000 like darkbreeze suggested there is not much to justify upgrading. Yeah the FlareX is faster and will improve performance, but depending on the software the difference may not be all that noticeable. I just don' think it's worth it.

Also note if you never set the XMP setting in the BIOS the RAM likely defaults to 2133, that's normal. To get the advertised speeds you have to enable the XMP profile or manually clock the RAM.

I have a 2700X and Gskill SniperX 3200 RAM, when I set the XMP profile for 3200 far cry 5 crashes on me so I manually set it back to 2933 and that solved the issue. Everything else runs exactly the same as far as I can tell so I don't even notice the difference.

Also, your GTX 970 will be limiting your FPS before the RAM speed does unless you game at very low quality settings.

The CAS 14 modules WILL reduce the true latency somewhat, but probably not enough to notice in anything other than synthetic benchmarks IF you are currently able to run the sticks you already have at 3000mhz as well. CAS 14 vs CAS 16 at the same speed is not enough to justify buying a whole new set of sticks UNLESS you cannot get your current sticks to run at the speed they should run at.

Also, on this motherboard the profile settings ARE called XMP, Extreme memory profile, and you will likely want to select the Profile 1 settings if you have not already.

If as Dugimodo says you have troubles with the XMP profile, you WILL want to make absolutely certain you have the memory installed in the A2 and B2 slots, 2nd and 4th from the CPU socket, and you may also want to bump the memory voltage (DRAM voltage, vDIMM, or whatever it happens to be called on that board. It changes so much I can't keep up from manufacturer to manufacturer and platform to platform) by .020v (Less if it will allow it, but a lot of Gigabyte boards don't allow less than .020v increment adjustments to the DRAM (Memory) voltage) and maybe as much as .040v. I wouldn't go past 1.38v MAXIMUM trying to get them stable at 3000mhz.

Truthfully, at the XMP profile, if they aren't stable by 1.38v, they probably aren't going to be with just voltage adjustments.

You may also need to make changes to the primary or secondary memory timings and the use of the Ryzen calculator might be pretty helpful with that.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

Solution