[SOLVED] Worthwhile to utilize 100% fan space on desktop case

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hi all!

I was wondering, is it worth while to utilize my desktops maximum number of fans? Like I have a thermaltake Core X31 which can support this many fans;

Front: 2 -120mm: Or 2 - 140mm: Or 1 - 200mm
Top: 3 - 120mm: Or 3 - 140mm: Or 2 - 200mm
Rear: 1 - 120mm: Or 1 - 140mm: Or 0 - 200mm
Bottom: 2 - 120mm: Or 2 - 140mm: Or 0 - 200mm

Here is an image; https://ibb.co/9rGKw1Q

And so currently I have 2 120 mm fans at the front as intake, 2 120 mm fans at the top as exhaust, and a radiator/fan combo (from my liquid cooler) at the back as exhaust. Is it worth while to install one more fan at the top and 2 more fans at the bottom? And if its not worthwhile to buy 3 more, if I had some extra lying around, would it be worthwhile just to install them?

Thanks!

My system:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-channel https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232242
MOBO: Gigabyte B360 Arous gaming 3 https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145061
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Last edited:
Solution
At some point, depending on fan CFMs, case volume and layout, system components, etc etc, extra fans just add more noise and don't noticeably improve cooling. A good rule of thumb is 2 intake, 1 exhaust for mid-range systems. For higher power systems, that may need to move to 3 in, 2 out. Any radiator fans count as half (generous) because their airflow is so restricted.

I generally don't care for 200mm fans because there's only a couple that aren't wobbly junk, so I'd recommend 140mm fans. It seems you have 120mm fans though, so that's fine too. Depending on the fan quality, 1200rpm and/or <20dB doesn't draw anyone's attention from a noise standpoint. There are always grey areas between the above 2:1 or 3:2 guidelines of...
No harm in adding more, as long as you add enough intake fans so that you are giving a slightly positive airflow into your case. If you have one extra fan blowing in, more than out, that will do.

Personally, I would recommend 140mm fans, instead of 120mm. You will notice a HUGE sound difference.

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
No harm in adding more, as long as you add enough intake fans so that you are giving a slightly positive airflow into your case. If you have one extra fan blowing in, more than out, that will do.

Personally, I would recommend 140mm fans, instead of 120mm. You will notice a HUGE sound difference.
2 140 mm as intake?

At some point, depending on fan CFMs, case volume and layout, system components, etc etc, extra fans just add more noise and don't noticeably improve cooling. A good rule of thumb is 2 intake, 1 exhaust for mid-range systems. For higher power systems, that may need to move to 3 in, 2 out. Any radiator fans count as half (generous) because their airflow is so restricted.

I generally don't care for 200mm fans because there's only a couple that aren't wobbly junk, so I'd recommend 140mm fans. It seems you have 120mm fans though, so that's fine too. Depending on the fan quality, 1200rpm and/or <20dB doesn't draw anyone's attention from a noise standpoint. There are always grey areas between the above 2:1 or 3:2 guidelines of course, depending on what size fans and what their speed/noise level is.

In your setup, 2 intake, the rad in the rear, and a single top exhaust would be good. Your CPU and GPU aren't power hogs.

Last edited:
Solution

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019

I generally don't care for 200mm fans because there's only a couple that aren't wobbly junk, so I'd recommend 140mm fans. It seems you have 120mm fans though, so that's fine.

In your setup, 2 intake, the rad in the rear, and a single top exhaust would be good.

Would you make the 2 intake fans as 140mm and leave the top fan 120mm or change all three to 140mm?

I am honestly not really concerned about noise from the fans/PC, 1. because it is generally noisy around, 2. I really don't mind the noise, and 3. If a little more noise means a little better cooling by all means.

Do you have any recommendations for 140mm case fan brands?

Last edited: