[SOLVED] Would a 10 gigabit switch take priority over a gigabit router?

diamondpumpkin1

Commendable
Jul 25, 2018
I eventually want to get a NAS server with 10 gigabit capabilities, however I purchased a decent gigabit router not too long ago and I don't want to replace it. I plan on connecting several devices to the NAS server, as you normally would. So a switch with 10 gigabit capabilities would be in order. My question is, if I connect two computers with 10 gigabit capabilities to my switch and transfer a large file between the two, would it be limited by the 1 gigabit router that is also connected to the switch?

I feel like the switch would handle it, but I want to be sure before I start investing in this.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
Yes you're right, 10GBit devices connected directly to the switch wont be 1GBit limited. Pc connected to the router coping files to a pc connected to the switch or vice versa will be limited.
What is a router for? typically for NAT and WIFI. Since ethernet switches are typically wired DOWNSTREAM from the router, the said traffic will go PC --> Switch --> NAS, router doesn't see that traffic, modem doesn't see that traffic.

I mean you can see this clearly with those blinking LED by the RJ45s. Start a transfer like that, and with nothing else going on the LAN of course, u should see the switch port LED where router plugged in, quiet, while switch ports to PC and NAS blinking furiously.