Would a 6 core X5680 at 3.33ghz still be good in 2018?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I am on the LGA 1150 socket but don't have a CPU yet. Therefore I was thinking of keeping my ram, and my graphics card is the 1060 3gb. I found a 6 core/12 thread Xeon CPU that is the X5680. It costs 50 pounds on ebay and I found a micro atx motherboard that supports the cpu for only 60 pounds. Should I get that CPU and overclock it? I'd get a good air cooler or AIO. Would it be worth it to save money and stick with an Xeon or should I upgrade to Ryzen and DDR4?

Solution
Paired with a 3gb 1060 for 1080p gaming I think that makes a good pairing. If I was going to put together a new i5 8600 or Ryzen 5 or 7 based system I'd want more videocard than that 1060.

This is assuming you want gaming at a budget price. Depending on the motherboard you buy, you may lose lots of modern features that you'd get from a new Intel or AMD system. If you don't care about those things then the Xeon should get the job done.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
it all depends on what you want to use it for.

It will not be fantastic in games, it is old technology. probably equal to an i7 3770.
Will be good for business apps or virtualisation tasks

If it was me, I would go for a new platform based on the R7 2700.

Paired with a 3gb 1060 for 1080p gaming I think that makes a good pairing. If I was going to put together a new i5 8600 or Ryzen 5 or 7 based system I'd want more videocard than that 1060.

This is assuming you want gaming at a budget price. Depending on the motherboard you buy, you may lose lots of modern features that you'd get from a new Intel or AMD system. If you don't care about those things then the Xeon should get the job done.

Solution

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I already have the ram and the GTX 1060 3gb but I am thinking its time for an upgrade since I've been on an old platform for so long. I will definitely get the Ryzen 2600 though if I don't have enough money I can get the Xeon in the mean time while waiting. I don't use many modern features besides USB and don't even overclock. I'm happy with USB 2.0 only as connectivity and audio jacks of course that is how old my PC is, lol. I don't hardly use USB 3 or even USB C or Thunderbolt. My only expansion slot is a GPU and possibly WiFi card. I don't have the ability to use ethernet.