Question Would a displayport coupler + 2nd cord or just a m/f extender be better for signal integrity?

thevisi0nary

Prominent
Jul 12, 2021
This is sort of a weird question. I have a PC in one room that is routed to a monitor in another room via a long fiber displayport cable. I would like to move this monitor on it's arm so that I can switch between using it for exercise and for office work. I feel uncomfortable doing this with such an expensive cable and putting frequent strain / movement on the connector and the cable. Having a short 6ft extension would solve this problem as that is the only portion of the cable run that would move.

I can do one of two things:

Use a displayport coupler and add a 2nd 6 ft cable.

Get a 6ft female to male displayport extender.

Is one of these methods preferable to the other?
Thank you for any help.

I don't think fiber DP cables can be extended. Fiber tranceivers require power, which is provided by the DP ports on each side. Standard DP cables do not connect the power pin, so the fiber transceiver at the end of the extension cable would be unpowered.

thevisi0nary

Prominent
Jul 12, 2021
I don't think fiber DP cables can be extended. Fiber tranceivers require power, which is provided by the DP ports on each side. Standard DP cables do not connect the power pin, so the fiber transceiver at the end of the extension cable would be unpowered.

Ahh interesting. Does this only apply to displayport or hdmi as well? I ask because I have a 50ft fiber hdmi going to a different monitor through a switch and it works okay.

Would it make a difference if I used an additional fiber DP cable with a coupler? At least that way I can easily swap out the 6ft cable.

Ahh interesting. Does this only apply to displayport or hdmi as well? I ask because I have a 50ft fiber hdmi going to a different monitor through a switch and it works okay.

Would it make a difference if I used an additional fiber DP cable with a coupler? At least that way I can easily swap out the 6ft cable.
I'm not sure about HDMI. I'm also not 100% on DisplayPort either to be honest, so you can go ahead and try if you want. An extension would be better than a coupler; the fewer connections, the better.

thevisi0nary

Prominent
Jul 12, 2021
I'm not sure about HDMI. I'm also not 100% on DisplayPort either to be honest, so you can go ahead and try if you want. An extension would be better than a coupler; the fewer connections, the better.

So I went with a m/f DisplayPort extender and just wanted to report back that it’s working fine so far (y)