[SOLVED] Would a hard restart wipe a D: drive?

Jul 15, 2021
My PC froze up while browsing the web. I ended up holding the power button down to force restart it. Upon boot it said there was a problem with C: drive and it needed to fix it. 5 minutes later I am back on the desktop.

Looking at my file browser my D: drive is missing. I checked disk management and the drive is showing as no partitions and all 6tb is reading as Unallocated space.

I ran a recovery with Renmo Software and nothing but the scan showed "skipping bad sectors" a couple times. Scan took a few hours and came back with nothing.

Data recovery Salvage Data said that there is nothing on the drive. Not even that is is corrupted or damaged. They say the drive is perfectly fine just empty.

Umm....what? Would a hard restart wipe a hard drive? Its one of 6 drives in my rig and its contains nothing. I have never heard of such a thing. Only a few files being corrupted or lost, not 5tbs worth of data.

Thoughts?

I am trying to get it back and get a second opinion as long as my serial numbers match.

Solution
if bad sectors happen at mbr/gpt record, then it can cause wiping your drive
you can try recover partition with partition recovery software
you can try recover partition with partition recovery software

Solution
Jul 15, 2021
Would that allow the drive to remain fully functional? I am waiting to get it back but they are telling me its fully functional and just needs a new Partition to keep working. I thought if the MBR record was messed up the drive would be bricked and unusable.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Do you have a backup? Your drive is probably failing. Get anything important - those you can still reach, that is - out when you still can.

If not, and if you have anything really important on your drive, your best options would probably be one of the data recovery services, but I have little experience with those other than knowing they can be very expensive.

EDIT:
Would that allow the drive to remain fully functional? I am waiting to get it back but they are telling me its fully functional and just needs a new Partition to keep working. I thought if the MBR record was messed up the drive would be bricked and unusable.
Who are they? DO NOT let them play more with your partition table, if any of those data on D: is important.

As it is unallocated space, it will be hard to do anything with it using any typical windows tools...

If your data is worth $300, I'd consult with a professional data recovery service...

I have recovered lots/most data from drives with Recuva that were quick formatted by mistake, but, no certainties that will help with your drive (especially if hard failed), and, I'd only try that if at the point of 'nothing left to do but accept data loss'.

forced shutdown probably caused head collision....
u can try searching for volumes to "mount" them back, but i would avoid using that drive

What?! How do you come up with these "pearls of wisdom"? o_O
see on youtube what harddrive does when its turned on...heads are flyin above surface (air propulsion from rotating plates makes sure heads stay above and doesnt sit), now you cut power, when drive is doing something, heads wont park and they can sit on surface which is what will cause you damage to surface (bad sectors)...hdd needs time to properly park heads
tho usualy you just get few lost files, he just lost data from sector 1

My PC froze up while browsing the web. I ended up holding the power button down to force restart it. Upon boot it said there was a problem with C: drive and it needed to fix it. 5 minutes later I am back on the desktop.

Looking at my file browser my D: drive is missing. I checked disk management and the drive is showing as no partitions and all 6tb is reading as Unallocated space.

I ran a recovery with Renmo Software and nothing but the scan showed "skipping bad sectors" a couple times. Scan took a few hours and came back with nothing.

Data recovery Salvage Data said that there is nothing on the drive. Not even that is is corrupted or damaged. They say the drive is perfectly fine just empty.

Umm....what? Would a hard restart wipe a hard drive? Its one of 6 drives in my rig and its contains nothing. I have never heard of such a thing. Only a few files being corrupted or lost, not 5tbs worth of data.

Thoughts?

I am trying to get it back and get a second opinion as long as my serial numbers match.
Chicken or the egg.
Wonder if the drive went south and that caused the freeze.
After you got things working you discovered the drive was blank.
The hard reset may have had nothing to do with the blank drive.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
see on youtube what harddrive does when its turned on...heads are flyin above surface (air propulsion from rotating plates makes sure heads stay above and doesnt sit), now you cut power, when drive is doing something, heads wont park and they can sit on surface which is what will cause you damage to surface (bad sectors)...hdd needs time to properly park heads
tho usualy you just get few lost files, he just lost data from sector 1
Those youtubers should have used a newer HDD for that demonstration.

Almost all new hard drives within the last 15+ years should park their head automatically on power loss. Or so I thought.

Old wisdom never dies, amirite?

Head crash into platter surface requires physical shock during active read/write operation.
Power off alone can't really cause that.

Jul 15, 2021
I should get the drive back next week and I am going to check it out before I just get a new one or send it off for a second opinion. I am just baffled with the way Salvage Data Recovery has handled things.

This D: drive was the only one not backed up unfortunately, I filled it up way faster than expected while my new server parts were in the mail. I have 3 SSDs for system, and video editing, 2 4tb WD Blacks mirrored, and 2 4tb WD Blues mirrored. The 6tb was the only one not backed up. Bob, B might be right that the drive was going south already. I now have 6 4tb NAS drives for backup to the entire system.

I think at this point I am have to just accept the loss but I was just looking for some closure on the dumb answer I got form the data recovery folks I sent the drive to. Never heard of a hard restart emptying a drive completely while also maintaining the functionality of the drive. My friend suggested they screwed up somewhere and are trying to cover their tracks. Looks like some new drives are in order.

Thanks for all your comments!

Reactions: JWNoctis