[SOLVED] Would a new CPU cooler make any difference in a smaller & hotter case

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,
I recently changed from a large to a small case becasue the full tower one was just too big (it kept hitting my knee under the desk). I now have a midi case. The smaller case has a 90mm rear fan and a 120mm front fan. Obviously the CPU temperature has gone up. It's about 5C higher, preumably becasue the air flow is more restricted. I was wondering if adding a more powerfull CPU cooler would lower the temperature of the CPU or if the smaller case would mean I was just moving the hot air around a less well ventilated case and make little or no difference?

I know a 5C increase is not terrible but I'm currious to know.

Regards Steve

Solution
D
Air CPU coolers depend on case airflow and ventilation.

It would do next to nothing if your case isn't ventilated properly.

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
Depends. As you said, it may just move the hot air from the heatsink faster, but still remain hot around it.
But a smaller case should not equal bad airflow by itself. Maybe you can look at your case/cable management and maybe new fans for the case itself?

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
I could almost certainly do better with the cable arrangement and even though the microATX motherboard only has two fan headers if I use a splitter cable I could add an extra fan to the vent in the side of the case.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Air CPU coolers depend on case airflow and ventilation.

It would do next to nothing if your case isn't ventilated properly.

Solution