Would a second router fix my problem?

G

The internet gets really slow in my house a lot to a point where I cant play any games because it lags me out. My internet speed is around 5mbps download when there is nobody on in my house and 1mbps upload when nobody is on in my house there is six people in my house all have ipads ipods etc there are around 4 computers in in my house (usually only 2 are on). My main question is would getting a second router ( http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600-Wi-Fi-Router-WNDR3400/dp/B0041LYY6K/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442793439&sr=1-4&keywords=netgear+router ) would fix the problem the idea is that I would have that in my room and hook up my PC, PS4, ipad and whatever else that I have to that router and the rest of my family could just use the other router. Would that fix the problem?

Please help ASAP!

It might be your wireless speed but it is unlikely. The best test would be to plug in via ethernet and see if you get issues. 5m is not very much now days. HD netflix/youtube can easily use over 4m. It is much more likely you are out of internet bandwidth than wireless radio bandwidth.

My guess is it's the bandwidth coming out of the wall. Do the test suggested above to confirm. Also, find out the speed from your ISP if you don't know it already. If the overall connection is 5 down/1 up, it's almost certainly causing a bottleneck when multiple people try to use it.