[SOLVED] Would adding 1 or 2 bottom intake fans to this setup be a waste of money?

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
Fractal design Meshify S2 case

Build:
Rog strix Z390 E-Gaming mobo, i7-8700K, Rog strix 2070 (vertical mounted), 4x8GB Trident Z, 2xSSD drives in the back. 1 nvme ssd on the mobo.

Current cooling, all are AP:
1x140mm back exhaust. 3x140mm front intake. Masterliquid360 with 3x120mm in the top as exhaust.

No temp issues currently, but: I never played around much with OC. But I will now. And I wonder if adding 1 or 2 140mm AP fans at the bottom of the case as intake will benefit that.

Or will the benefit be so small its waste of time and money?

Solution
Oh yes, sorry. (i'm on first coffe today :) )

Usually people install AIO cooling as an INTAKE, in front of the rig. That's cuz air outside is always a bit colder than inside the rig, so it's optimal for CPU.

So if You can, You could install AIO at the front of the case, then 2x top and 1 back as exhaust and 1 fan as intake from the bottom. Try it out if You want to. Maybe that alone could give You few C degrees less.

If You wan't to stay with current config, there's nothing wrong with that - then You could mount 1-2 fans at the bottom to balance the intake : exhaust.

Benefit from both solutions will be small to none (i'd say it's maximum few degrees less), but 1-2 additional fans is also very small cost, so it's worth it...

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
IMO You need some balance between input and output.
From what i understood, You want to make it 5 fans in and 1 out.

To ensure good airflow, I would add another 1-2 out fan(s) on top of the rig, and then consider installing bottom intake fans.

However, if You buy those 2, You can do some experiments to check, which config is the best. (for example 1 top out + 1 bottom in?)

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
IMO You need some balance between input and output.
From what i understood, You want to make it 5 fans in and 1 out.

To ensure good airflow, I would add another 1-2 out fan(s) on top of the rig, and then consider installing bottom intake fans.

However, if You buy those 2, You can do some experiments to check, which config is the best. (for example 1 top out + 1 bottom in?)
No? I currently have 3 fans in and 4 fans out.
Read the OP: 1x140mm back exhaust. 3x140mm front intake. Masterliquid360 with 3x120mm in the top as exhaust=3 intake and 4 exhaust.

I want to add/change to 4 or 5 intake and keep the 4 exhaust.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Oh yes, sorry. (i'm on first coffe today :) )

Usually people install AIO cooling as an INTAKE, in front of the rig. That's cuz air outside is always a bit colder than inside the rig, so it's optimal for CPU.

So if You can, You could install AIO at the front of the case, then 2x top and 1 back as exhaust and 1 fan as intake from the bottom. Try it out if You want to. Maybe that alone could give You few C degrees less.

If You wan't to stay with current config, there's nothing wrong with that - then You could mount 1-2 fans at the bottom to balance the intake : exhaust.

Benefit from both solutions will be small to none (i'd say it's maximum few degrees less), but 1-2 additional fans is also very small cost, so it's worth it. Especially, if You want to stay with AIO on top of the rig.

Intake should be >= exhaust. That's the general rule.

Last edited:
Solution