Would anybody know what recovery system is Dell using?

"JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make their
> recovery CD's.
>
> TIA

Not an image CD like Compaq and HP. A standard (Dell labeled) OS disc, then
separate discs for applications, drivers, and diagnostics.

Stew

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make their
> > recovery CD's.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Not an image CD like Compaq and HP. A standard (Dell labeled) OS disc,
then
> separate discs for applications, drivers, and diagnostics.
>

> Stew

Thanks, but would you know what software they are using... e.g. Ghost (I
know it's not) or is it some proprietary software.

Regards

They aren't using one. It's a standard XP install disk. Put it in, XP
installs. It has an 'enhancement' where it doesn't have to be activated on
a Dell box, which I love.

Tom
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make
their
> > > recovery CD's.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Not an image CD like Compaq and HP. A standard (Dell labeled) OS disc,
> then
> > separate discs for applications, drivers, and diagnostics.
> >

> > Stew
> >

> Thanks, but would you know what software they are using... e.g. Ghost (I
> know it's not) or is it some proprietary software.
>
> Regards

Dell doesn't supply recovery CDs.

You get full installation CDs for everything - including Windows XP - that
was installed on your computer.

Rocky

"JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make their
> recovery CD's.
>
> TIA

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> Dell doesn't supply recovery CDs.
>
> You get full installation CDs for everything - including Windows XP - that
> was installed on your computer.
>
> Rocky
>
> "JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make their
> > recovery CD's.
> >
> > TIA

I have both the Win2K and XP Home CD's from Dell... isn't it considered a
recovery CD... it seems to work only on Dell computers. My apologies... I am
quite a newbie.

TIA

The Windows CDs are locked to the BIOS of Dell computers; they will not
install on any other computer.

Rocky

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> > Dell doesn't supply recovery CDs.
> >
> > You get full installation CDs for everything - including Windows XP -
that
> > was installed on your computer.
> >
> > Rocky
> >
> > "JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make
their
> > > recovery CD's.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> I have both the Win2K and XP Home CD's from Dell... isn't it considered a
> recovery CD... it seems to work only on Dell computers. My apologies... I
am
> quite a newbie.
>
> TIA

David

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message news:<c9c2857196930f2df68ed32d221bd6fb@news.teranews.com>...
> The Windows CDs are locked to the BIOS of Dell computers; they will not
> install on any other computer.

As has been said before...it is not LICENSED and will require
activation BUT the dell os cd WILL install on any pc regardless of
manufacturer. The dell cd is a full windows oem cd that wont require
activation on a dell pc and is only licensed for the pc it was
purchased with.
Dave

what dell calls their 'recovery cd' is a full version of windows xp (or 2k
if that is what you bought) with one basic difference... the setup program
checks the bios to see if you are running it on a dell branded computer. if
it passes this check then it install like any other full version of windows.
it is not just tied to your particular model dell. it will work on any dell
(license issue aside). i don't know the specific details of their xp cd, but
with the 2k cd you can run the makeboot utility from the cd and create four
floppy disks to boot from and start the setup program. replacing the
setupldr.bin file on the first floppy with the generic one from a regular
copy of 2k would make the cd work in any brand system.

"JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make
their
> > > recovery CD's.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Not an image CD like Compaq and HP. A standard (Dell labeled) OS disc,
> then
> > separate discs for applications, drivers, and diagnostics.
> >

> > Stew
> >

> Thanks, but would you know what software they are using... e.g. Ghost (I
> know it's not) or is it some proprietary software.
>
> Regards

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> The Windows CDs are locked to the BIOS of Dell computers; they will not
> install on any other computer.
>
> Rocky

Indeed although there is a widely available "crack" or, for want of a better
word, "patch" for the Dell Win2K CD that enables installation on any pc.

Not sure whether the script kiddies have managed to do the same to Dell's
WinXP CDs yet.

i have found that activation is required with the dell windows xp 'recovery'
cd in the following circumstances: when not installed on the same model
dell that the machine shipped with (ie older dells, or if cd came with
latititude then activation is required when installed on inspiron, etc),
that it requires activation if installed as an upgrade or if installed when
booted from floppies (had to boot from floppies with an dimension lxxxcx
that refused to boot from the xp cd despite its ability to boot from a
symantec antivirus cd).

> They aren't using one. It's a standard XP install disk. Put it in, XP
> installs. It has an 'enhancement' where it doesn't have to be activated
on
> a Dell box, which I love.
>
> Tom
> "JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message

> their

> > > Not an image CD like Compaq and HP. A standard (Dell labeled) OS
disc,
> > then
> > > separate discs for applications, drivers, and diagnostics.
> > >

> > > Stew
> > >

> > Thanks, but would you know what software they are using... e.g. Ghost (I
> > know it's not) or is it some proprietary software.
> >
> > Regards

They don't - at least not for general release.

I have seen notebook systems returned from Dell with CD-Rs containing an
image backup used to restore the system - those have been made with
Symantec's DriveImage.

It may be those aren't intended for general consumption, but I've seen them
come back more than once with a repaired notebook (usually the Compal-built
notebooks - 1100, 5100, 8500, 8600).

"JustMe" <lsu@iss.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I am just curious... what recovery software does Dell use to make their
> recovery CD's.
>
> TIA

The Dell Website says that activation is required if you don't boot from
the CD or don't perform a full install (example -- upgrades). I used a
CD from a Dimension to do a full install on an Optiplex and didn't need
to activate.

Christopher Muto wrote:
> i have found that activation is required with the dell windows xp 'recovery'
> cd in the following circumstances: when not installed on the same model
> dell that the machine shipped with (ie older dells, or if cd came with
> latititude then activation is required when installed on inspiron, etc),
> that it requires activation if installed as an upgrade or if installed when
> booted from floppies (had to boot from floppies with an dimension lxxxcx
> that refused to boot from the xp cd despite its ability to boot from a
> symantec antivirus cd).

interesting. they clearly have more than one verson of their xp cd. i
suspect there are also differences between their xp home and xp pro cds. i
reloaded a latitude c400 that arrived defective with its own xp restore cd
and it required activation. i used that same cd to test out how xp would
run on an old inspiron 3800 and that machine did not require activation. go
figure. at least with win2k the behavior was predictable.

"Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> The Dell Website says that activation is required if you don't boot from
> the CD or don't perform a full install (example -- upgrades). I used a
> CD from a Dimension to do a full install on an Optiplex and didn't need
> to activate.
>
> Christopher Muto wrote:
> > i have found that activation is required with the dell windows xp
'recovery'
> > cd in the following circumstances: when not installed on the same model
> > dell that the machine shipped with (ie older dells, or if cd came with
> > latititude then activation is required when installed on inspiron, etc),
> > that it requires activation if installed as an upgrade or if installed
when
> > booted from floppies (had to boot from floppies with an dimension lxxxcx
> > that refused to boot from the xp cd despite its ability to boot from a
> > symantec antivirus cd).

Christopher Muto wrote:
My Windows XP CD that came with my Inspiron system was labelled Notebook
or Inspiron, I'm not sure, but it was different than tha desktop
systems. The Optiplex CD appears to be the same as the Dimension CD. Of
course activation is no big deal if it is asked for since the code is on
a sticker attached to the system!

> interesting. they clearly have more than one verson of their xp cd. i
> suspect there are also differences between their xp home and xp pro cds. i
> reloaded a latitude c400 that arrived defective with its own xp restore cd
> and it required activation. i used that same cd to test out how xp would
> run on an old inspiron 3800 and that machine did not require activation. go
> figure. at least with win2k the behavior was predictable.
>
> "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
>
>>The Dell Website says that activation is required if you don't boot from
>>the CD or don't perform a full install (example -- upgrades). I used a
>>CD from a Dimension to do a full install on an Optiplex and didn't need
>>to activate.
>>
>>Christopher Muto wrote:
>>
>>>i have found that activation is required with the dell windows xp
>
> 'recovery'
>
>>>cd in the following circumstances: when not installed on the same model
>>>dell that the machine shipped with (ie older dells, or if cd came with
>>>latititude then activation is required when installed on inspiron, etc),
>>>that it requires activation if installed as an upgrade or if installed
>
> when
>
>>>booted from floppies (had to boot from floppies with an dimension lxxxcx
>>>that refused to boot from the xp cd despite its ability to boot from a
>>>symantec antivirus cd).

activation is automatic via the web the first time... but after it has been
done once it then requires a call to microsoft to obtain and activation
code... and though i have not had to do it many times i can say that it is
indeed a hassle taking over 1/2 hour each time. making a problematic hard
disk much more than merely a miserable experience but a huge waste of time.

> Christopher Muto wrote:
> My Windows XP CD that came with my Inspiron system was labelled Notebook
> or Inspiron, I'm not sure, but it was different than tha desktop
> systems. The Optiplex CD appears to be the same as the Dimension CD. Of
> course activation is no big deal if it is asked for since the code is on
> a sticker attached to the system!
>
> > interesting. they clearly have more than one verson of their xp cd. i
> > suspect there are also differences between their xp home and xp pro cds.
> > reloaded a latitude c400 that arrived defective with its own xp restore
cd
> > and it required activation. i used that same cd to test out how xp
would
> > run on an old inspiron 3800 and that machine did not require activation.
go
> > figure. at least with win2k the behavior was predictable.
> >
> > "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>The Dell Website says that activation is required if you don't boot from
> >>the CD or don't perform a full install (example -- upgrades). I used a
> >>CD from a Dimension to do a full install on an Optiplex and didn't need
> >>to activate.

> > 'recovery'

> > when

TRENDING THREADS