[SOLVED] would holding the power button for 15 seconds while the PC is on fry your components?

Oct 5, 2020
Earlier today I was having issues turning on my PC. It would power on, spin fans and power on the LED's but wouldn't display anything on my monitor.. I decided to hold the power button down for 15 seconds to see if it would help and the computer shut down. I tried pressing the power button on my case and nothing would happen. No fans would spin, no LED's would turn on and nothing would show up on the screen. I went ahead and unplugged the PC for 30 seconds to see if that would help and it didn't.

After about 15 minutes of trying to get it to power on I went ahead and opened the case up. I tried powering it on with just the ram and cpu plugged into the MoBo and nothing. The power button LED on the MoBo itself stays on but nothing happens when pressed.

Tried leaving one stick of ram in each slot to see if that would be the issue.. Nothing. Tried resetting the cmos by removing the battery for 30 seconds.. Nothing. I also swapping the PSU from another computer to see if that would help and nothing changed.

Did I fry my MoBo or something? What's the worst that can happen buy holding the power button for 15 seconds while the PC is still on? Did I fry my components by doing this? I am so lost.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Prolonged pushing of the power button shuts off the power to the PC without shutting down windows first which can cause corruption of files to the extent that windows might not boot anymore.

Error "A9" seems to be USB initializing so my first move would be to unplug all usb headers from the motherboard and unplugging all USB devices possible.

If your mobo doesn't do anything except for the led lighting up it could very well be a fried mobo, no matter how badly things are screwed up form settings and whatnot at least the fans should be spinning and the hard drive should be clicking,well if it's a mechanical one that is.
Oct 5, 2020
Yep, holding down your power button for 5 seconds shuts down the system. Holding it down an additional 20 seconds did nothing. Sounds like power supply instability to me. Do you have another one you could use to test?
I tried another power supply and it still doesn't want to turn off. The computer itself was working fine until I went ahead and held the power button for those 15+ seconds.

Oct 5, 2020
I'm more concerned with the errors before you held the button down. Turning on and no display points to video card. That might have been the issue at the start. What gpu do you have?

it was posting the error code "9A" on my MSI z490 unity motherboard. I tried to fix this error by attempting to hold the power button down for 15 seconds. Ever since I did that now nothing powers on, except for the tiny led light on the power switch that sits on the bottom of my MoBo.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Holding down your power button will not fry a component. Holding down the power button for an extended period of time merely changes its behavior in most cases. If your PC or laptop is frozen and you cannot turn it off normally, holding it down should "force" the shutdown. If it were possible to fry your PC in this manner, then there is something seriously wrong with anything but the power button and how you pressed it.

Reactions: Austin86
Sep 28, 2020
On some mother boards holing the power button wile the system is off can wipe the bios settings. Same with holding the power and reset at the same time.
Other then that I can't see holding the power button being the problem here.

Oct 5, 2020
That was the c-mos. which you also reset when you removed the watch battery for 20 seconds.

And, no, I wasn't talking about the monitor, I was questioning your graphics card.
Ah okay my mistake. I have not tried swapping the video card yet since i'm still trying to figure out why the computer itself isn't booting up in general/isn't supplying any power outside of the MoBo LED. I have tried booting it up both with and without the video card and it still won't power up. I tested my power supply again with another computer and it works fine (fans spin, led lights turn on etc which does not happen with the computer I'm attempting to fix)

Prolonged pushing of the power button shuts off the power to the PC without shutting down windows first which can cause corruption of files to the extent that windows might not boot anymore.

Error "A9" seems to be USB initializing so my first move would be to unplug all usb headers from the motherboard and unplugging all USB devices possible.

If your mobo doesn't do anything except for the led lighting up it could very well be a fried mobo, no matter how badly things are screwed up form settings and whatnot at least the fans should be spinning and the hard drive should be clicking,well if it's a mechanical one that is.

Solution
Oct 5, 2020

that's what I was thinking. The MoBo is completely dead when I try to power it on, minus the one little power LED that sits on the bottom of the MoBo.

What if it's a fried CPU or fried ram stick? Would it at least still power the fans/LEDs on or not at all? I just want to make sure it's not one of those 2 components that's preventing me from booting up in general.

Last edited: