Would it be worth the money to upgrade?

lukas13x

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
So I'm still running this:
i7 3770k
Asus Sabertooth z77
Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb).

I'm about to upgrade to a 970 from a 760 hawk. But now im considering trying to sell my system and upgrade to i5 6600k with ddr4 ram.
I dont have a lot cash to splash so its a question if I should wait for next gen and keep going with the current one. Or go for the new gen and ddr4 ram?

Im looking for opinions on what would be better. No definitive solution.

lukas13x

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013

Well wouldnt the i5 still perform a lot better than the 3rd gen i7, and so ddr4 wouldnt be a big enough reason to upgrade?

I already have a 256gb SSD and 1Tb HDD.

I'd say just do the GPU upgrade and hang on to the rest of the system for at least another year. Skylake is only about 15% faster than Ivy Bridge when comparing CPUs with the same core count and clock speed. For some applications you might lose performance going to an i5 from an older i7, though that usually isn't the case for games. If you're looking to improve gaming performance, then the GPU upgrade is definitely the better choice, and is also a lot cheaper as well.

skillywilly

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
yupper GPU is what makes your system..so long as you have a good 1080p/1440 monitor..but its not worth upgrading as of yet..hell its not even worth upgrading from a 3rd gen cpu to a 6th gen...its just not worth the price vs performance. as for the ddr4 same thing performance/price..if you have plenty of cash then SURE lol but i think its still a year or 2 away till it can be utilized right.

TRENDING THREADS