Question Would it be worth upgrading my 3080?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I am surprised that my rig is struggling with some games I have played recently. A few of them are EA games and not properly optimized but dropping down to 40FPS is getting old.

My current specs are as follows:

CPU 5900X. Surprisingly it runs at 4.95GHz pretty consistently. No OC.
MSI 3080 gaming Z trio 10 GB
Asus Dark Hero motherboard
Gskill RAM 32GB 3600MHz
Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB x 2
Seasonic 850W PSU
Corsair 780T case
360MM AIO top mounted

1440P Acer Predator 27", 165Hz monitor.

I was eyeing the 4090. Read nothing but good things about it and the huge performance increase. Hate the price.

Looked at the 4070ti and the price is reasonable but the increase in performance probably isn't worth it?

I don't see any reason the 4090 has to be so expensive. Does anybody think the price will drop significantly when the 5000's come out?

I feel my specs are good enough that I shouldn't have to do a full rebuild now. I also paid $1800 for my 3080 because when I built this rig there was a shortage as usual.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are ignoring the 4080 Super, 4070 Ti Super? RTX 4070 non-super is roughly equivalent to a 3080. 4070 Super outperforms a 3080 Ti/3080 12GB. Regular 4070 Ti doesn't often get a recommendation these days since it price is exactly between the 4070 Super and 4070Ti Super.

I would not expect a significant price drop in the near term. If the 5080 launches it will be priced at $1200 or more. If they also launch the 5090, $1600 would be appreciated, but I suspect they may go higher with it. We aren't likely to see mid-range 5070 cards for a while, and they would be the ones that would start the price war with the previous generation.

Used 4090 may drop in price, but it is still a powerful GPU, so don't expect miracles.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
The 4090 is obviously heads and tails above the other options.

I am reading that the 4070 ti super is roughly 20 to 25% faster than a 3080. The 4090 is roughly 50% faster.

Any opinions on the 4090 being too powerful for a 5900X? In other words am I wasting my money if the 5900X can't keep up?

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5900X is still a pretty recent processor. At a certain point you just have to stop worrying about it. The performance you get is based more on your settings than anything else. If the GPU is 'too powerful' increase resolution/game quality settings until it isn't, then your CPU doesn't matter.

4080 Super review should cover what you need in terms of performance:

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-review

Which exact GPU to get isn't that important as long as you have enough power and space to fit it. They will all perform within a few percent of each other. Go with the larger heatsink for less noise if you can. Clock speeds are all variable based on power, temperature, and just how good the chip you get is.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
5900X is still a pretty recent processor. At a certain point you just have to stop worrying about it. The performance you get is based more on your settings than anything else. If the GPU is 'too powerful' increase resolution/game quality settings until it isn't, then your CPU doesn't matter.

4080 Super review should cover what you need in terms of performance:

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-review

Which exact GPU to get isn't that important as long as you have enough power and space to fit it. They will all perform within a few percent of each other. Go with the larger heatsink for less noise if you can. Clock speeds are all variable based on power, temperature, and just how good the chip you get is.
I usually max out all the settings when I play a game and have my FPS capped at 160 with RTSS.

I can fit any size card in my Corsair 780T.

I'll read the review you linked. Thanks Eximo!

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Anybody got feedback on the 7900XTX? I have read up on this a bit and it apparently doesn't match the performance of the 4090 but it only uses 350W instead of 450W. I have read about issues with the drivers? No ray tracing?

If you have one let me know what you think. It is also much cheaper than the 4090.

logainofhades

Titan
I usually max out all the settings when I play a game and have my FPS capped at 160 with RTSS.

I can fit any size card in my Corsair 780T.

I'll read the review you linked. Thanks Eximo!

I would try playing around with setting some before spending a lot of money on a card you may not need. Max is for screenshots, high is for actual gaming, and often very little difference in visual quality.

WIth regards to drivers, on the 7900xtx. While I do not own a 7900xtx, but I have had an RX 6800 for 3yrs without any issues, where as I have had Nvidia drivers cause issues on my Nvidia equipped laptops. The AMD drivers bad thing is exaggerated. The 7900xtx can do RT, but it is behind the 40 series. IIRC, it is closer to a 3090, with regards to RT performance.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I would try playing around with setting some before spending a lot of money on a card you may not need. Max is for screenshots, high is for actual gaming, and often very little difference in visual quality.

WIth regards to drivers, on the 7900xtx. While I do not own a 7900xtx, but I have had an RX 6800 for 3yrs without any issues, where as I have had Nvidia drivers cause issues on my Nvidia equipped laptops. The AMD drivers bad thing is exaggerated. The 7900xtx can do RT, but it is behind the 40 series. IIRC, it is closer to a 3090, with regards to RT performance.
Currently I am playing Survival Fountain of Youth and I am getting FPS drops into the 40's. I tried changing from ultra to low with no difference. Also tried changing FPS limit from unlimited to 60. Still no difference. This is now the 3rd game I have played that has serious FPS issues. Granted they are early access games and not well optimized but still. I feel like I need to upgrade the GPU but now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice about the 4090 connector issues and the PSU requirement?

Currently I am playing Survival Fountain of Youth and I am getting FPS drops into the 40's. I tried changing from ultra to low with no difference. Also tried changing FPS limit from unlimited to 60. Still no difference. This is now the 3rd game I have played that has serious FPS issues.
If you're lowering settings and getting no real performance increase the game is CPU bound.

Currently I am playing Survival Fountain of Youth and I am getting FPS drops into the 40's. I tried changing from ultra to low with no difference. Also tried changing FPS limit from unlimited to 60. Still no difference. This is now the 3rd game I have played that has serious FPS issues. Granted they are early access games and not well optimized but still. I feel like I need to upgrade the GPU but now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice about the 4090 connector issues and the PSU requirement?

best out of the 4000 series without issues would be 4070 ti super.
its also the best performance per watt card

the issue with the 7900XTX is still has a power consumption flaw when its in duel monitor set up this still isn't truly fixed its not really something i think they can fix in software.
it trades blows with the 4080

logainofhades

Titan
If you're lowering settings and getting no real performance increase the game is CPU bound.

Another possibility is XMP might not be enabled, and the ram is not running at its rated speed. The system requirements for what they are playing are not exactly heavy.

Survival: Fountain of Youth Recommended Requirements​

• CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Full HD resolution
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 6144 MB
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 32 GB

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Another possibility is XMP might not be enabled, and the ram is not running at its rated speed. The system requirements for what they are playing are not exactly heavy.

Survival: Fountain of Youth Recommended Requirements​

• CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Full HD resolution
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 6144 MB
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 32 GB
XMP is enabled and running at 3600Mhz. I think it's more of an optimization issue. It mainly happens around my base. Other people are complaining about similar issues on the Steam discussion page.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
best out of the 4000 series without issues would be 4070 ti super.
its also the best performance per watt card

the issue with the 7900XTX is still has a power consumption flaw when its in duel monitor set up this still isn't truly fixed its not really something i think they can fix in software.
it trades blows with the 4080
I was leaning toward the 4070 ti super but it only has a 20 to 25% increase in performance whereas the 4090 has 50% increase.

Jun 28, 2024
Anybody got feedback on the 7900XTX? I have read up on this a bit and it apparently doesn't match the performance of the 4090 but it only uses 350W instead of 450W. I have read about issues with the drivers? No ray tracing?

If you have one let me know what you think. It is also much cheaper than the 4090.
I have had a 7900XTX and right now I have a 4090. Im also running a 5900x, paired with 32GB DDR4 3800 cl14. I was fairly happy with the 7900 XTX. Never had any issues with drivers and performance wise it did pretty well. It seems to be slightly faster than a 4080S on average (3% at 2560x1440, not a big difference tho) at a lower price. Downpart: RT performance on 3090 level, slightly higher power consumption under load and idle, high idle power draw when using multiple monitors. Just checked a TPU review for the 4080S and the idle power draw seems to be much lower now at "only" 44w (Before it was well above 100w on idle).
The 4080 costs more (Here around $110 more for the cheapest compared to the cheapest 7900XTX), has better RT performance, draws less power and comes with some fancy AI features.

For just gaming (non RT) you wont notice a difference between both cards, id say.
I chose the 7900XTX just to give Team Red another try and it did not disappoint. I only upgraded because I like to buy stuff.

And your PSU btw, will run all cards just fine. I used a 750w PSU for 6 months with a 4090 just fine. Now im on 850w.

I was leaning toward the 4070 ti super but it only has a 20 to 25% increase in performance whereas the 4090 has 50% increase.

you can go 4080 super or 4090 my advise would be to get a decent 16 pin cable specifically seasonic cable.

its what i use. all these cables state that you should not bend the cable near the connector be at least 3.5 cm or 35mm. before a bend in cable occurs its not as robust as the 8 pin. its also to prevent hot spots as i can tell by my cable gets quite hot even on a 4070 super and i have fans blowing on it. from below

I am currently on a 7900 xtx, and I have no complaints. I did a mostly side grade from an RTX 3080 to an RX 6900 XT because I knew that 10gb of vram would be a bottleneck sooner rather than later at 1440p (someone did a trade with me for it so I wasn't going to complain ). I then upgraded to an RX 7900 xtx because I got a good deal on it (850 open box from Newegg a year ago). I don't actually use any ray tracing because it's a performance hog with no benefit to me, so I still go by pure rasterization performance. That is until it becomes an actual requirement in future games, but were likely still 4 years or so away from that, and I will definitely have upgraded at least twice by then. So if you're ok with only slightly better ray tracing performance vs your 3080, but decently better rasterization, then an Rx 7900 xtx can work for you. Otherwise if you have the funds and want to, go with a 4090. I like the 4080, but I feel like the 7900 xtx puts up a good fight, with more vram, for less, at least unless you are using any of nvidias proprietary features, or you really care about ray tracing. I've attached the Rx 7900 gre review from techpowerup since it has all of these cards in it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-gre-pulse/32.html

Last edited:
The last time I had an issue like what you described, it ended up being a bad CPU. Granted that's a rare thing, I was swapping parts and scratching my head for a while, but it can happen. If you aren't using the extra threads available to you with your 5900x, a 5800x3d may be a worthwhile swap.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
5090 and 5080 are expected this Christmas and the 50XX series is believed to be a massive increase in performance.

Dropping money on a 4090 today would be an own goal. Not too terrible because the 4090 isn't going to chugg anytime soon (except 4K where they all do). But so close to a new generation?

Intel and AMD will launch new GPUs too. The period from Christmas to Easter will be packed with next gen GPUs.

Save your money.

Reactions: thestryker

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
5090 and 5080 are expected this Christmas and the 50XX series is believed to be a massive increase in performance.

Dropping money on a 4090 today would be an own goal. Not too terrible because the 4090 isn't going to chugg anytime soon (except 4K where they all do). But so close to a new generation?

Intel and AMD will launch new GPUs too. The period from Christmas to Easter will be packed with next gen GPUs.

Save your money.
I don't plan on going to 4K. I am happy with my 1440P monitor. I think the 4090 is already more than enough to pair with a 5900X. The only way I would upgrade to a 5000 series is with a complete rebuild. Not ready to do that yet. Current build only 3 years old.

Reactions: 35below0

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Then an upgrade might not do much for you unless you upgrade to an x3d chip, as lowering settings are doing nothing for you.
It's just Fountain of Youth that has this issue. Other games improve by lowering settings. This is a game by a fairly unknown developer and is not optimized well at all. Most games I am hovering around 80 to 100 FPS on ultra.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I guess this is where I'm at. If I upgrade I am going with a 4090. The 4090 is powerful enough I could swap it into an AMD5 platform next time I upgrade. Now the issue is finding one. I am leaning toward the MSI Gaming Trio or Gaming X Trio. Every site I go to says one in stock. I think GPU's are a scam. Always low on inventory, always high on price. Amazon has one, again it says only one left. When I look at the reviews, zero of them are from the U.S. That seems fishy. If I can find one sold by Amazon directly I will buy it. I am also keeping an eye on Newegg but I would prefer to get my 5% cash back from Amazon. LOL

All the comments and suggestions are much appreciated. I feel like the 10G with my 3080 is an issue or will be an issue in the near future. Since I have a 165Hz monitor there is plenty of room to get higher, more consistent FPS than I am getting. No idea how people manage high FPS with 4K.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
After looking at the MSI 4090 Gaming Trio vs the Gaming X Trio it appears the only difference is a slight OC. I just found the Gaming X Trio for $1799 on B&H Photo. $150 cheaper than Newegg. The same price as the non X version on Newegg. They are closed for checkout until 9:45 tonight but this is the best deal I have found.

TRENDING THREADS