Question Would it be worth upgrading my 3080?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I don't plan on going to 4K. I am happy with my 1440P monitor. I think the 4090 is already more than enough to pair with a 5900X. The only way I would upgrade to a 5000 series is with a complete rebuild. Not ready to do that yet. Current build only 3 years old.
The point is more that you could potentially spend less for 4090 performance that uses less power (see 4080 vs 3090\3090 Ti) by waiting.

Your goal also seems to be high refresh rate which your CPU is going to negatively impact by a fair amount. Going from a 4080 Super to 4090 at 1440p is about a 20% performance jump on a system without a CPU bottleneck and around 12.7% on one that does. Going from the 5900X to a 5800X3D while using a 4090 is a jump of around 13.5% by itself. A CPU upgrade obviously isn't going to turn your 3080 into something it's not, but if you're talking spending $1800+ on a video card is certainly something you should seriously consider.

Reactions: 35below0

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
The point is more that you could potentially spend less for 4090 performance that uses less power (see 4080 vs 3090\3090 Ti) by waiting.

Your goal also seems to be high refresh rate which your CPU is going to negatively impact by a fair amount. Going from a 4080 Super to 4090 at 1440p is about a 20% performance jump on a system without a CPU bottleneck and around 12.7% on one that does. Going from the 5900X to a 5800X3D while using a 4090 is a jump of around 13.5% by itself. A CPU upgrade obviously isn't going to turn your 3080 into something it's not, but if you're talking spending $1800+ on a video card is certainly something you should seriously consider.
The goal is more to have a consistent FPS rate than a high one. As I stated, I have played numerous games lately where the FPS are good until I start building a big base or am in an area with lots of NPC's. Then the FPS are dropping down into the 40's. And your comparison of performance jumps is great, but remember I am going from a 3080, not a 4080. The performance improvement should be around 50%. Also, the 4090 should be good for quite a few years and could be swapped into a new AMD5 platform in a couple of years. Then it would be paired with something along the lines of a 7900X or 9900X or whatever they come up with. That would be a beast.

The goal is more to have a consistent FPS rate than a high one. As I stated, I have played numerous games lately where the FPS are good until I start building a big base or am in an area with lots of NPC's. Then the FPS are dropping down into the 40's.
These things you're describing are CPU bottlenecks not GPU.
And your comparison of performance jumps is great, but remember I am going from a 3080, not a 4080. The performance improvement should be around 50%.
I'm not saying a 4090 is a small upgrade rather I'm saying your platform is going to hold it back which will have a very real impact on performance.
Also, the 4090 should be good for quite a few years and could be swapped into a new AMD5 platform in a couple of years. Then it would be paired with something along the lines of a 7900X or 9900X or whatever they come up with. That would be a beast.
I'm not sure what your rush is in buying a video card which costs over MSRP when you have a good one and it's this close to a new generation launch. Personally speaking I'd wait to see what the first 50 series looks like price/perf/efficiency wise because if it's anything like the 40 series the 5080 will use much less power to deliver the same or better performance than the 4090.

Reactions: 35below0

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
My beef with waiting to buy a 5000 series is that from past experience with my last 2 builds, the moment the cards are released there is a "supposed" shortage. Everybody is scrambling to buy up any card they can find, bots swipe most of them. The prices are always high. If I paid $800 for a 1080ti and paid $1900 for a 3080 what is a 5000 series going to cost? $2500? $3000?

If a 5900X isn't good enough, that leaves me swapping it for a 5800X3D which would have a minimal improvement or a whole new platform for one of the newer Ryzen chips or an Intel platform.

As I've mentioned, what's wrong with getting whatever improvement I can with a 4090 in my current build and swapping it into a newer AMD platform in a year or two? Sure, I could buy a 4070 ti super or a 4080 but then I'm giving up performance in a new build.

I trust all of the information you guys give me. I have also read hundreds of posts on different forums of people saying the 4090 gave them a huge boost. Haven't really seen any where somebody says the 4090 was a waste or they regret it. And a lot of them had a CPU much less capable than a 5900X.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Which would suggest it's CPU power you're lacking, not GPU.
Very possible but the games in question were affecting people with all different platforms and very capable CPU/GPU combos. I remember some of the posts on the new Dragon's Dogma game. People with 14900K/4090 were having the same FPS issues as everyone else.

I really believe the FPS issues I am having with Fountain of Youth are due to a poorly designed game. Looking off into the landscape I am at 118 FPS. Looking at my base (which isn't that big yet) is dropping me to 43 FPS. That's not normal for any rig.

When I play AAA games I get great FPS. My reasoning is that a 4090 will possibly bump me from a 80 to 120 FPS range to a solid 160 (165Hz monitor capped at 160). Maybe if I'm lucky it will also help with these poorly optimized games.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I just tried an experiment. I went into Avatar Frontier's of Pandora. I was getting 57 FPS on high settings. I changed to low settings and went up to 74. I also noticed that it shows how much GPU memory is required. High uses 8.9GB. Doesn't leave much headroom with a 10GB GPU.

This was standing in one specific spot in the game, not an average of different areas.

I also tried adjusting the settings in Fountain of Youth while looking out over the ocean instead of looking at my base. Still didn't change anything. 118 FPS on ultra or minimal (which is even lower than low).

My beef with waiting to buy a 5000 series is that from past experience with my last 2 builds, the moment the cards are released there is a "supposed" shortage. Everybody is scrambling to buy up any card they can find, bots swipe most of them. The prices are always high. If I paid $800 for a 1080ti and paid $1900 for a 3080 what is a 5000 series going to cost? $2500? $3000?
The 3080 launched into the crypto boom so anyone buying then was getting fleeced unless they were buying founder's edition or from EVGA's availability list as both of those were price controlled.

All of the 40 series cards launched at their retail pricing and you could buy them at exactly that. You could buy a 4080 Super today for under MSRP, but the cheapest 4090 is $130 over MSRP. In fact the only card you can't get for MSRP (or less) anymore is the 4090 because the prices have gone up as they know they'll sell.

Reactions: emitfudd

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
The 3080 launched into the crypto boom so anyone buying then was getting fleeced unless they were buying founder's edition or from EVGA's availability list as both of those were price controlled.

All of the 40 series cards launched at their retail pricing and you could buy them at exactly that. You could buy a 4080 Super today for under MSRP, but the cheapest 4090 is $130 over MSRP. In fact the only card you can't get for MSRP (or less) anymore is the 4090 because the prices have gone up as they know they'll sell.
It looks like the MSRP for a 4090 was $1599. I would assume that was for a founders edition? Aren't the beefed up name brands like MSI, Asus, Gigabyte always more expensive? They almost always offer better cooling or an overclock or some feature to justify the extra cost. I don't feel terrible about spending $200 over MSRP for an MSI.

It looks like the MSRP for a 4090 was $1599. I would assume that was for a founders edition? Aren't the beefed up name brands like MSI, Asus, Gigabyte always more expensive? They almost always offer better cooling or an overclock or some feature to justify the extra cost. I don't feel terrible about spending $200 over MSRP for an MSI.
With modern cards there's really no advantage over the Founder's Edition cards. They have very good cooling and no disadvantages as everyone has shifted to flow through designs for that class of card. Not that it's necessarily important, but the FE 4090 also has a 600W power limit which was quite a bit higher than many others at launch, but I don't know if that's still the case. Basically since the 30 series there's only two potential advantages of non-Founder's Edition: some are sold with AIO cooling or a custom block already installed and many offer dual BIOS.

Context on pricing: MSI's Gaming X Trio launched at $1700 and it's $1800 now. The Suprim X also. launched at $1700 until MSI decided it was a $2000 card. This is true across the market with some exceptions from Asus because they're always overpriced.

logainofhades

Titan

I battled bots on AMD direct to get my RX 6800 at msrp, back then.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
With modern cards there's really no advantage over the Founder's Edition cards. They have very good cooling and no disadvantages as everyone has shifted to flow through designs for that class of card. Not that it's necessarily important, but the FE 4090 also has a 600W power limit which was quite a bit higher than many others at launch, but I don't know if that's still the case. Basically since the 30 series there's only two potential advantages of non-Founder's Edition: some are sold with AIO cooling or a custom block already installed and many offer dual BIOS.

Context on pricing: MSI's Gaming X Trio launched at $1700 and it's $1800 now. The Suprim X also. launched at $1700 until MSI decided it was a $2000 card. This is true across the market with some exceptions from Asus because they're always overpriced.
It looks like the MSI Gaming X Trio has the dual BIOS. One for silent and one for gaming. I use Afterburner to set a custom fan curve with my fans always spinning. When I bought my current card (MSI Gaming Z Trio) it ran really hot with the default fans don't spin until hot scheme. It didn't cool down very quickly and stayed hotter during gaming. Now with the fans always on and a nice fan curve it stays nice and cool.

It looks like the MSI Gaming X Trio has the dual BIOS. One for silent and one for gaming. I use Afterburner to set a custom fan curve with my fans always spinning. When I bought my current card (MSI Gaming Z Trio) it ran really hot with the default fans don't spin until hot scheme. It didn't cool down very quickly and stayed hotter during gaming. Now with the fans always on and a nice fan curve it stays nice and cool.
I had to do the same with my EVGA card because the fans wouldn't kick on until it was already running hot. It seems like default fan curves in general are hit and miss these days. I get the whole wanting low noise thing, and that's absolutely fine when idle, but I absolutely do not want things running hot when I'm using them.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I figured out the FPS drop with Survival Fountain of Youth. The light sources (wall and free standing torches) are the culprit. I extinguished all of them and my FPS went from 43 to 78 while looking at my base.