[SOLVED] Would like to upgrade from an intel Q9300 to Q9550 or Q9650 on an IPIEL-LA3 EUREKA 3, IS THIS POSIBLE. Hp states im maxed out. Do not understand why?

Aug 24, 2019
Can i upgrade both in the mother board? 240 pin .
Serial number of computer is MXU9470RCQ
PLEASE ADVISE.
Would like to upgrade from an intel Q9300 to Q9550 or Q9650 on an IPIEL-LA3 EUREKA 3, IS THIS POSIBLE. Hp states im maxed out. Do not understand why?

Your mainboard may support it, but, the installed BIOS version must as well... which may vary with what processors are supported with different cooling solutions (particularly with small form factor systems or laptops, etc..)

As all you have given regarding system type is a serial number, it would naturally be difficult to speculate any limitations...

Reactions: CONDOR BIRD

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
how much are the cpu's you about to spend, cause you might just come better out with a entire new modern (first gen I7 and up) system, while being in the same price point,

I've been in that situation so many times, I know you got use to it, you feel comfortable with the ergonomics of it, and had fantasies of maxing it out.

But let me tell you, once you get it you'll still be looking for an upgrade, You can find dirt cheap desktops at goodwill, thrift stores across the US, or even eBay

But if you must, go with the q9650, but the difference between them are minimal, and wont justify insane price difference.

Aug 24, 2019
how much are the cpu's you about to spend, cause you might just come better out with a entire new modern (first gen I7 and up) system, while being in the same price point,

I've been in that situation so many times, I know you got use to it, you feel comfortable with the ergonomics of it, and had fantasies of maxing it out.

But let me tell you, once you get it you'll still be looking for an upgrade, You can find dirt cheap desktops at goodwill, thrift stores across the US, or even eBay

But if you must, go with the q9650, but the difference between them are minimal, and wont justify insane price difference.
Q9650 new is 99 dollars.

Depending on availability it might also be worth looking into a LGA771 Xeon. They are typically way cheaper than the high end LGA775 quads and can be modded to fit into it as well.
But honestly, untill you're either really, really, REALLY into the platoform, or got already the other parts (like a board and RAM that can do proper OC, 4 GHz are doable), or both, there is no point in 2019 for such an upgrade.