would my AMD FX-4100 Quad core processor work with the Sapphire Dual-X AMD Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card?

John94572

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
would my AMD FX-4100 Quad core processor work with the Sapphire Dual-X AMD Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Update: If i oc my cpu would it work with the gpu?

Solution
Yes it will work, but it's going to bottleneck it to some degree. Some games it will be worse than others. I really recommend upgrading cpus as soon as possible.

Blackzone70

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Yes, your setup will work, but will not be as effective as it could be because your CPU will severely bottleneck your system resulting in a loss of FPS in many CPU intensive games. Your best course of action would be to get a faster CPU. The FX-8320 or the FX-8350 would probaly fit on your current motherboard. If you are on a budget, it would be better to get a slightly cheaper card, (like a R9 270x), and get a better CPU than to have a faster card and be bottlenecked. I know from experience that a slow CPU can limit your system quite a bit.

Yes, but you may want to upgrade the CPU in the future. You may get a bottleneck in some games, but most will only use a max of 4 cores. If you have a issue you can probably overcome it if you can achieve a good OC, so you should be good for awhile.

Blackzone70

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

What you are saying is true, most games out now will only use 4 to 6 core, but many of the new games coming out this year (especially console ports) will use all 8 cores of an octo-core processor. His current fx-4100 is reasonably fast (even faster OCd) but many newer games will eat through it's power in no time.