[SOLVED] Would quality 550watt PSU be enough for RTX 2080 ?

Davv

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I currently have a 9600K OC'ed at 5.0GHz with 16GBram and one SSD and three HDD's Seagates 7200.0 in the tower all hooked up and running. Also have a DVD burner. I'd like to get a RTX 2080 it would standard stock card with no OC and I'm not planning to OC either.

I've been told before that my PSU is of high quality. SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

I kick myself for not getting the 650watt at the time, but you know GPU's are not suppose to get more hungry, but less oh well.

I've noticed that the RTX 2080's are all recommending a Minimum of a 650 Watt power supply. Am I going to be right at the limit or plenty and still have some left ? Cause if I'm going to right at the threshold then forget it, I'll just get a RTX 2070.

Solution
Indeed, your PSU is of high quality, but it is very marginally going to be able to support your system.
Your CPU alone when overclocked could pull above 100w, and when you factor in the rtx 2080's average tdp of 250w, things get tight.
Your total power draw would be around 400w, depending on which rtx2080 model you refer to.
I would say that you can go for the rtx2080, but you may need to leave your CPU at stock. It would be nice to have a better PSU with more headroom though.

PuperHacker

Honorable
Indeed, your PSU is of high quality, but it is very marginally going to be able to support your system.
Your CPU alone when overclocked could pull above 100w, and when you factor in the rtx 2080's average tdp of 250w, things get tight.
Your total power draw would be around 400w, depending on which rtx2080 model you refer to.
I would say that you can go for the rtx2080, but you may need to leave your CPU at stock. It would be nice to have a better PSU with more headroom though.

Solution

Davv

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

If I can't run the 2080 I'll just get the 2070 instead. I thought I'd ask. No way I'm changing out a good PSU at this point. These dam new GPU's are suppose to use less and less voltage but the RTX changed it up this time.

PuperHacker

Honorable

I recommend that you get the rtx2080, leave your CPU at stock and see if it works. If it does not, you can always undervolt your GPU until you get a new PSU.

Davv

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

I read somewhere that the PSU is it's most efficent when runnung at 50-60%. So in my case it's possible I could be running my PSU at 70-80% ? So basically I would be using more electric which isn't a big deal. But would it shorten my PSU life you think ?

It's a good quality PSU so at worst it will just shut down.