Would Sandy Bridge prices get competitive with upcoming Bulldozer???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view $1081.27 after rebates, 1196.27 before rebates. That has water cooling, SB 2500k, A CF/SLi motherboard, GTX 560, 8gb 1600 CAS 8 RAM, a very nice case, a wd black caviar 1tb, and a CD/DVD Burner. You could even add a very, very nice SDD and still keep it under 1.5 grand.

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
My dear donut, please allow me to clarify. SB is Sandy Bridge which runs on the LGA1155. SB-E is the newest generation of Sandy Bridge which will be released in Q4 on the LGA2011 with the X79 chipset. There is some basic info on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

but you can look up lots more. I have not been discussing current SBs as I have zero interest in LGA1155, I am discussing SB-E. So your insistence on misreading what I am saying is putting you in the position of discussing a CPU series which is wholly irrelevant to the debate. Kindly update your information and then we can engage in a relevant discussion. Thanks! :)

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

If I am reading you right you are speaking of the update for socket 1366, the other core i7 with the triple channel ram...

I just wish Intel would pick a socket and stick with it for a few months, er, years...

How long will 2011 last and what about "Ivy Bridge?" Will 2011 be Sandy or Ivy?

I think 2011 will be Ivy Bridge. This thread was about SB. Sorry for the misunderstanding though.

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
No problem at all with the misunderstanding and no hard feelings at all since we're just discussing items of interest. I'm just a bit dismayed that you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the existence of SB-E when the series which will include a quad and two hexas have been present on official Intel timelines for many months and as far as I am aware has never been disputed by anyone. SB-E will be released at least one quarter before IB. Do you have any evidence to dispute that fact, or is there something that I'm not aware of?

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Aren't they maxed out at 1.6 ghz? At least that's what I read about the eight core on ebay

kfitzenreiter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The frustrating thing for me is no matter when you build your system you're kind of a fool for doing it because in only 3 -6 months down the road Emerald Bridge or Sandy Bulldozer or whatever is due out with support for USB 6.0 and pci express 3.5. The march forward of technology has become more of a flat-out run.

I just built a Core i5 2400 system, complete with two 1 TB drives. I'm looking to add a SSD for the OS soon. And my 550 ti graphics card is coming since I'm having issue with the Intel HD drivers. I just wonder how long before I look at this the way I see my Athlon XP Barton down in my man cave???

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
kfitzenreiter: The ebay SB-E was an ES and they are traditionally clocked way low. But the top SB-E hexa and the quad are "supposed" to be 3.9 GHz on Turbo. As for the almost instantaneous obsolescence, I'm with you, brother... just read my signature. :(

Raidur: What we know about BD's benchmarks is next to nothing. It could be a jet engine or a slug. Looks like we'll have to wait until the NDA is lifted early next month to see how BD stacks up on any performance standard.