[SOLVED] Would SSD connected through USB Be faster than HDD for gaming?

Entopian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
So I am wanting to play RUST and currently using an HDD and the load time is 20 minutes would it be worth buying an SSD and connecting through USB I have 3.0 Speed I think. I would connect it through the SATA connection but I am afraid I will mess something up that I can't replace lol

Solution
It depends on your config.

For my case, the SSD runs faster when it's connected to a PCI-E to USB 3.0 port because my motherboard is a bit old and the SATA is not that fast.

If you motherboard has NVME slot, you should consider using a NVME SSD instead.
It depends on your config.

For my case, the SSD runs faster when it's connected to a PCI-E to USB 3.0 port because my motherboard is a bit old and the SATA is not that fast.

If you motherboard has NVME slot, you should consider using a NVME SSD instead.

Solution

Entopian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
It takes 20 minutes to load the game?

What is rest of your system? CPU MOBO RAM etc.

As said above, connecting a SATA SSD is easy, nothing to worry about. You connect one SATA power connector from the PSU to it and a SATA cable to SSD and other end goes in a motherboard SATA port.
I am using A RoG g20CB and in order to install a hard drive, I have to remove a lot of parts including the graphics card the PC is built like a pc/laptop hybrid, And in my system, I have a gtx 970 i7 6600 and 16 gigs of ddr4 ram. My PC runs most games great but when it comes to rust everything lags and loads very slowly including the start screen just to get to the menu.