Would Steve Ballmer Leave Microsoft After Win 8?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
windows 7 i attribute its success to ballmer's push for its immediate release. i wish ms will stop releasing new os when its not needed. win7 i thinks has a much longer life span because they made it more secure than winxp. the moment i switch to it i never look back to its previous os.

With Windows 7 we saw several flavors from Basic to Ultimate and 32-bit/64-bit. Was this a hit or a miss and would you (readers) want to see that again for 8, or is most of the concern being able to turn off the tile/tablet/touch friendly overlay?

G

At some point he has to retire and spend his days counting his money and f%*$ing his whores.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Innovation generally doesn't happen no matter who is running the show at MS. In most things Microsoft is a market follower, not a market leader. The desktop is the exception (and perhaps the console market, but I haven't looked at market share figures for ages).[/citation]
for now the 360 is the console for online play
the ps3 is the console for exclusives
and the wii is for the party people.

marketshare in terms of total sale is about 86mill wii and 50-55 mill for both ps3 and 360

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tonitelaoag[/nom]windows 7 i attribute its success to ballmer's push for its immediate release. i wish ms will stop releasing new os when its not needed. win7 i thinks has a much longer life span because they made it more secure than winxp. the moment i switch to it i never look back to its previous os.[/citation]

they are both insecure, but true win 7 POTENTIALLY has a longer life, however it wont live longer. the os that comes around 2015 will,

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
microsoft doesn't need to innovate on the desktop side. what they need to do is keep up with tech. hell they could even just sell "dlc" as far as im concerned.

incorporate dx10\11 on xp, id pay 30$
add trim support there is another 10-20

when they need a complete rewrite of the os to function, then release a new on, but till than sell us the major upgrades, and patch for free.

i never wanted areo and hate its look
i never wanted the os changed so much i have to re learn it
dont @#$% is the way everything looks feels and functions, 95-xp (dont know of vista) but if you knew one, you knew them all, that was a GREAT ability, because they changed the underlining os, 95-me --> xp and retained everything they had prior to it.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
From what I have read about Steven Sinofsky he seems like he would do great things for the company. He was in charge of Windows 7 development and that has done pretty darn well, particularly coming on the heels of Vista. I for one hope that he does get the chance to bring his vision to the company as CEO.

Donuts

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Hey Marcus Scam, I'm calling you out on this article. You have clearly plagiarised this article straight from the Infoworld site. You might hate Windows and all that childish nonsense but to plagiarise from another blog and post it as your own is just plain ameteur. This is just an insult to your readers and a sign that you are nothing but an ameteur copy/paste "journalist". Toms has become a joke now in the Tech reporting scene. Read the properly written article here: http://www.infoworld.com/t/technology-business/how-steve-ballmer-could-exit-microsoft-gracefully-133

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] 95-xp (dont know of vista) but if you knew one, you knew them all, that was a GREAT ability, because they changed the underlining os, 95-me --> xp and retained everything they had prior to it.[/citation]
actually xp carried a new gui compared to windows 2000. you could still set classic mode, so you'd see it as the familiar system you were used to since nt 4, but it wasn't on as default. Also with internet explorer 4, windows 98 ui was changed a bit, just like windows 7 was changed a bit over vista. And both vista and windows 7 have a classic mode to look like xp.
I agree with you on the idea to sell functionality upgrades instead of completely abandoning the old systems, but I'm not sure it's actually profitable for the company as there's so much extra quality testing needed.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
TBH this can't come soon enough. Microsoft seems to have lost all desire to be inovative. Look how long it took to go from xp => vista which was a disaster on release. Windows mobile 7 is still miles behind the competition and is trying to catch up by going slower. Office has stagnated after a pointless re-skinning. Xbox is the only department they seem interested in and they even semi screwed that up with hardware failures and why did Kinect release practically EOL?
IMB over took MS in market share recently, something that never looked possible under Gates. Slight pride wounding.
I don't think he'll be pushed or step down, he'll turn up late and find everyone including the building have moved effectively "missing the boat again". That's how I feel about MS since he took over.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
WP7 isn't that bad. It's lacking some features, but after the last system update it's been rock stable. Unlike Windows XP it no longer needs to reboot every time you intend to use it. In fact my WP7 has been up for the last 20 days and 10 hours without issues. And the last reboot was only because I ran out of battery.
WP7 isn't perfect. Not by a long shot, but at least every feature it has works. It isn't an Apple thing, so ofcourse it works. I'd rather have an android os on it, but then again, Android is more complicated to use, so maybe WP7 is better.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]there are way to many old people in these big businesses, they need to go, the younger generation need the jobs....[/citation]

Like Justin Bieber?

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Finally we'll get a product we really want!
A version of Windows that's good for mobile devices, and has long term support (unlike vista, Me, and 2000)

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
he's a douche anyway
MS will be better without him. MS is running on the fact this it is familure. they need someone who can come up with new Ideas.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]there are way to many old people in these big businesses, they need to go, the younger generation need the jobs....[/citation]
Yes. After an education is English, that is. "There are way TOO many old people in these big businesses..."

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Donuts[/nom]Hey Marcus Scam, I'm calling you out on this article. You have clearly plagiarised this article straight from the Infoworld site. You might hate Windows and all that childish nonsense but to plagiarise from another blog and post it as your own is just plain ameteur. This is just an insult to your readers and a sign that you are nothing but an ameteur copy/paste "journalist". Toms has become a joke now in the Tech reporting scene. Read the properly written article here: http://www.infoworld.com/t/technol [...] efully-133[/citation]
I followed your link and read the other article and do not find evidence of plagiarism. I had already assumed that Marcus did not travel to Microsoft headquarters and interview Ballmer in person, but rather relied on existing internet scuttlebutt. If anything, the information here may have been condensed from another article, but Marcus uses a unique writing style and wording to make the article his own.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@alidan

Windows XP released in 2001. Its unreasonable to demand full compatibility with new features on an OS that's 10 years old!

I'd much rather buy a new, up to date OS for about a hundred bucks than pay for modular upgrades that might not work as elegantly.

You can turn areo off by right clicking the desktop, going to personalize, and selecting a different theme. It takes about 10 seconds.

The whole OS is indexed. What can't you find? Just click the start button, and type it into the search field!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]microsoft doesn't need to innovate on the desktop side. what they need to do is keep up with tech. hell they could even just sell "dlc" as far as im concerned. incorporate dx10\11 on xp, id pay 30$add trim support there is another 10-20when they need a complete rewrite of the os to function, then release a new on, but till than sell us the major upgrades, and patch for free. i never wanted areo and hate its looki never wanted the os changed so much i have to re learn itdont @#$% is the way everything looks feels and functions, 95-xp (dont know of vista) but if you knew one, you knew them all, that was a GREAT ability, because they changed the underlining os, 95-me --> xp and retained everything they had prior to it.[/citation]

They do keep up with tech, Hence why they keep releasing new OS's. The tards that stick with XP are the ones who arent keeping up. (no support for xp its dead let it die)

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]microsoft doesn't need to innovate on the desktop side. what they need to do is keep up with tech. hell they could even just sell "dlc" as far as im concerned. incorporate dx10\11 on xp, id pay 30$add trim support there is another 10-20when they need a complete rewrite of the os to function, then release a new on, but till than sell us the major upgrades, and patch for free. i never wanted areo and hate its looki never wanted the os changed so much i have to re learn itdont @#$% is the way everything looks feels and functions, 95-xp (dont know of vista) but if you knew one, you knew them all, that was a GREAT ability, because they changed the underlining os, 95-me --> xp and retained everything they had prior to it.[/citation]

If you have that much trouble adjusting to new things, you don't belong in the tech industry in any capacity. Evolution of technology is kind of the name of the game, if you hadn't noticed. :p

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

Easy to say but it was bringing Jobs back that made Apple successful, similar for Michael Dell at Dell, Gates managed to do a great job with Microsoft his whole career, same for Ellison at Oracle, the list goes on, in fact succession planning has been pretty disastrous at most of these big tech companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.