[SOLVED] Would the wrong GPU drivers make the even the MOBO VGA send nothing to the monitor?

Dec 9, 2018
Hi, I have built a computer and the SSD was second hand and already has an OS installed, including stuff to do with GPU. When I initially built the computer I could hear it starting, fans and other hardware were doing things, but the monitor had no signal, neither from the GPU HDMI port nor the on board VGA. I removed the graphics card and it works fine. When the card was in, I did not even see a boot screen. The monitor 'knew' that it was plugged into something, but displayed nothing.

It is a strong possibilty that the graphics card is just faulty (it was cheap and second-hand, and I knew that was a risk when I bought it) but I wondered whether the problem could possibly be to do with drivers etc? I only ask because I don't want to bother opening up the case and reinstalling the card again if there's just no point.

The card is a GTX1050ti, the motherboard is a z-170 and the CPU is a Pentium G4560. I have already tried re-seating the RAM.

Solution
If you see nothing (even BIOS), this is well before any (Windows) drivers can mess - that GPU is not good...

You might try to check in BIOS whether there's a setting on GPU priority during boot.
Dec 14, 2019
no, output video signal not depending by a driver issue.
Is the CPU properly installed?
I tell you this because the CPU, the ram stick or the motherboard could also be damaged,. to get rid of the doubt you should try your gpu on another system and check if it starts

Last edited: