[SOLVED] Would there be a noticeable performance impact with these components and motherboard?

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I am using the b450m-hdv r4.0 motherboard, and am hopeful about upgrades soon, and I am not very insightful into "bottlenecks" caused by the main board itself, so if I was to slap in a 3700x (I know the bios will need an update for this cpu) and a 5700xt gpu, would I see any real performance impact since it's not a very high end board? Would the fact that it's only pcie 3.0 make any noticeable impact on performance?

I guess I should also mention that this pc is/will be primarily for gaming, aiming for at most 1440p at 75hz

Last edited:
Solution
I am using the b450m-hdv r4.0 motherboard, and am hopeful about upgrades soon, and I am not very insightful into "bottlenecks" caused by the main board itself, so if I was to slap in a 3700x (I know the bios will need an update for this cpu) and a 5700xt gpu, would I see any real performance impact since it's not a very high end board? Would the fact that it's only pcie 3.0 make any noticeable impact on performance?

I guess I should also mention that this pc is/will be primarily for gaming, aiming for at most 1440p at 75hz
Only concern I have is that poor 4+2 VRM. Could work just fine. Doesn’t hurt to try it and if you need another board you can get one. Pcie 4 doesn’t matter as nothing saturated pcie 3.

Only concern I have is that poor 4+2 VRM. Could work just fine. Doesn’t hurt to try it and if you need another board you can get one. Pcie 4 doesn’t matter as nothing saturated pcie 3.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for this. Could you also maybe recommend a solid psu for all of this hardware? I'm currently using a 530w raidmax, it has 40A on the 12v, but am unsure if it would power the 5700xt when it starts boost clocking. According to power supply calculator, load wattage comes out to 508, (with the gpu slider adjusted for boost clocks) or would this psu handle that? I'm currently looking at 600w supplies, or should I go as high as 650?

Thanks for this. Could you also maybe recommend a solid psu for all of this hardware? I'm currently using a 530w raidmax, it has 40A on the 12v, but am unsure if it would power the 5700xt when it starts boost clocking. According to power supply calculator, load wattage comes out to 508, (with the gpu slider adjusted for boost clocks) or would this psu handle that? I'm currently looking at 600w supplies, or should I go as high as 650?
I wouldn’t use a raidmax at all. Lowest PSU you should use is a Corsair CX550 or above. CX550M stay away from. TX, RM, RMx are all better in order. EVGA G3 only, seasonic focus gold. Those are quality PSUs you should look for.