[SOLVED] Would these voltages prevent a boot?

Mar 10, 2019
I'm testing voltages on my 24 pin connector with a multimeter trying to figure out what's preventing my system from booting. It's reading as follows

12v = 14.24v
5v= 5.91v
3v= 3.89v

Are these normal, or do i need a new power supply? My 12v reading seems rather high.

Solution
In this case I would think as its a new build and with the above symptoms this would point to a dodgy board because as you said yourself the Q-Code should change if there is no ram or other components disconnected, it is not all that uncommon for parts to ship faulty (although rare) which is a bit of a kick in the nuts I know but I would contact the seller or Asus directly and try and get the board RMA'd.
Mar 14, 2019
As above I would try and RMA it anyway if it still has any warranty left on it, although in what way does your system not boot? e.g No signs of life when clicking the power button? Or are LED's on, fans spinning etc. but no boot into windows?

If you could expand on the issue it may help further

Mar 10, 2019
Yeah so my motherboard (Asus Maximus X Code) is giving a Q-Code of 00. The led's on the board are all on, the fans spin. Just can't get it to POST. This is a brand new build.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, which worked once and I was able to get into the BIOS, and all my RAM and processor showed up, then I restarted and could never get it to POST again. Still getting the same Q-Code of 00 with a new PSU. So I'm thinking the board is toast?

Mar 10, 2019
Yeah everywhere I looked pointed to either a board or cpu issue. I'm going to guess it's the board as that one time I got into the BIOS all my components showed up fine.

Mar 14, 2019
Okay thats quite strange as the mobo manual says that 00 is an unused code which may backup your thought of it being toast, does resetting the CMOS work everytime? But only once? Did you happen to check your RAM timings and voltages as it maybe your mobo is detecting the wrong stock timings and this is causing POST problems? However this is a bit of a long shot as Ive never seen incorrect timings preventing POST before but its worth a try?

Mar 10, 2019
Nah resetting the CMOS only worked once then never again lol. I've tried it with no ram too because that should at the very least generate a different Q-Code. But the Q-code never changes from 00. I've tried all the RAM slots one stick, two, three, and four. Same result every time, Q-Code 00

Mar 14, 2019
In this case I would think as its a new build and with the above symptoms this would point to a dodgy board because as you said yourself the Q-Code should change if there is no ram or other components disconnected, it is not all that uncommon for parts to ship faulty (although rare) which is a bit of a kick in the nuts I know but I would contact the seller or Asus directly and try and get the board RMA'd.

Solution