Would this be an alright gaming PC? new to building

weemantom

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Hey, iv'e been looking around to upgrade my current PC as I've had it about 2-3 years now and i'm starting to think it might just be better to build a brand new one as i want to change everything inside and out. It will be mainly used for gaming and possibly streaming.

Currently i have:-
Processor - AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.50Ghz
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Graphics - msi GTX 960
Power - Corsair VS 450
Ram - HyperX FURY Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
2TB HDD
Ugly case

Then the parts ive been looking at to upgrade or start building from scratch are:-

Graphics - GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (im not sure from which manufacturer, such as the Asus ROG Strix or a Gigabyte version. im not sure the difference between them all too much) EDIT:(only a very slight chance i may get one but possibly a Nvidia Titan Xp
galactic empire collectos edition)
Motherboard - Asus Strix Z270F or Z70E (maybe ASUS LGA 1151 MAXIMUS IX HERO Intel Z270)
Processor - Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz QuadCore 8MB
Ram -Trident Z RGB Series 16 GB (8 GB x 2) DDR4 3000 MHz
Cooling - Either NZXT Kraken x52 240 OR Corsair H100i v2
Power - Corsair RM850x
Case - Corsair 460x RGB (incluse 3 RBG fans on the front)
Fans - ML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM x3 ( 2x on the top of the case and 1x on the rear of the case)

not sure if i've missed anything out, hopefully i havent. So what im wondering is would it be best just to buy it all in one go? Or is there a way to slowly replace everything as i cant really afford to go out a buy it all in one go unless i save for a few months and im not very patient when i get something in my head haha.

Any help or advice like if i have missed anything out or compatibility issues with some components would be a great help to me since it will be my first time building on myself. also if there are recommendations on any of the parts that i haven't looked at or better alternative parts. i want it to perform well and also look good too (i like flashy lights)

Thanks in advance for any replies
Tom

Jwpanz

Honorable
You forgot to add storage to your list unless you plan on using your 2TB HDD. In my opinion, I would buy an SSD or NVMe SSD for a system of that caliber. If you want speed and snappiness then an SSD should be your default. You could then use your old 2TB HDD as general storage.

Besides that your build is solid and would definitely rank up in the high end spectrum. I would like to point out that GPU prices are still ridiculously high and you should hold off of the 1080ti until the prices drop.

With that being said. You should buy your parts either all at once or sort of spread it out over the course of a couple of months to wait for GPU prices to go down.

weemantom

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
ahh yes, i was going to use the 2TB hdd as storage and i was going to get a SSD but im not sure on what sort of size i would be looking at. i have looked around and ive read that even a 128gb SDD is enough but seems very small compared to the HDD

check 256 GB ssd's best NVME ones. 128 are usually slower even in the same series. With one of the best parts on market, slow SSD will be like using trailer on Ferrari
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/
samsung 960 is 3 GB R/W
and your 2 TB HDD is ~100 MB R/W
so around 30 times faster on MOST tasks for some close to 100 times.
SSD is really great and once you see it ....

also about GPU, I wonder if you can use 960 in new build untill 1080TI will be cheaper. Currently you will pay 150% of 1080TI value if not more.

weemantom

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Think i might give the NVMe a try then and just use HDD as my storage and i was thinking about putting the gtx 960 in til the price comes down a little for the 1080ti

Jwpanz

Honorable
Ya I would highly suggest waiting on the GPU. And use an NVMe SSD if you have the cash for it. The 960 Evo from Samsung is an excellent option and I use it personally.