Would this be worth it, and would it work? (UK)

Lee_2

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Hi all

Been looking around and found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Quad-Core-4-2GHz-Performance/dp/B01HS8ENL8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529757551&sr=8-4&keywords=i7+pc#customerReviews

Basically it's an I7 PC base unit (no GPU) with these specs:

• Intel Quad Core i7 s1151 7700 3.6GHz Kabylake (*4.2GHz in Turbo). 8GB DDR4 2400 Ram. 1TB SATAIII 7200 HDD

CIT Classic Micro ATX Case & 500W PSU.

Gigabyte H110M All-In-One Motherboard (2 x DDR4 Memory slots). int. 8 Channel Sound. 24X +/- DVD Re-Writer & Dual Layer. Gigabit LAN, USB 2.0/USB3.0.

Integrated Intel HD 630 Graphics with HDMI & VGA - Support Dual Display (PCI-E 16X).

Since some parts for a build such as RAM and GPUs are slightly inflated right now would it be worth buying this base unit and throwing my current RX 480 in there as all the other parts are an improvement as to what I have now? Also do you think the 500W PSU inside it would cope?

My current PSU is 500W and has been ok for the last 2 years or so but I just feel a need to upgrade my PC somehow for the future and this could be more cost-effective and easier as I have little experience with building.

Thanks

EDIT: I'm not planning to overclock the GPU as it's a stock 480 so that could help w/ power consumption.

Well, the build info doesn't say if you have the ram already. You've just quoted the mobo specs, that has two ddr4 memory slots. Do you have the ram already?

It depends on the PSU (what's the exact model?), but for the most part if it's decent enough it will be fine to power the system with no OC. Although, you can't OC the CPU, only GPU. The mobo is limited, and you will not be able to OC the ram either, so you should get DDR4 2400mhz 2x4 or 2 x 8gb matched kit.

Lee_2

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

It's got 8GB DDR4 already as stated alongside the CPU model, and the PSU is a CIT brand. I'm aware CIT is a questionable brand, but I've been using an Integrator 500W for the past 2 years, which I've also heard is questionable, so I'm not sure in that part.

But i'll probably keep it at 8GB RAM for the moment and add another 8GB in the future.

Lee_2

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

I'm aware of the problem with the limited RAM slots, but I'm currently using DDR3 in my current setup which I could possibly sell and get a DDR4 8GB stick to put in. As for the PSU, I've been using an Aerocool Integrator 500W for the past 2 years which I've also heard is questionable but it's been fine, so I'm unsure in that aspect.

My bad, I missed that. In that case, having 8gb now and trying to match later isn't a great idea. If you can, always buy in matched 2x kits. This ensures you get Dual channel goodness (which is mostly memory bandwidth). Buying another DIMM later, even though it could be the same brand/speed etc, there is no guarantee it will work. If you are confident tricking around with timings and voltage in the bios, if the mobo supports those options, then you can try it. But it will always be suggested to buy the kits as they are ensured to work together.

On the PSU, those CIT are trash. They don't get near their advertised ratings and often combine rail voltage to get to lets say '500w' in this case. It adds the 12v rail to the 3.3/5v rails for total output, meaning the CIT aren't really giving you 500w. I'd tread carefully with it. The other poster is bang on, A quality PSU is worth it's weight. A decent unit will set you back 60-80 $£€ but will have a 5-7 year warranty. You know what you are getting.