Would transferring my hard-drive to a new system transfer the OS on it?

TotalFilth

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I've been using a really old computer for a while now and decided it was time to upgrade.

I have all the physical parts for my new computer. I only lack an operating system.
I was wondering if I would be able to put my old hard-drive into my new computer, and have that computer recognize having an OS installed; or possibly find a sata-usb cable to copy over from my old hard-drive to my new hard-drive.

Solution
I have done this a few times but not recently with windows 8 or 8.1 . I don't see a problem as long as you uninstall the old drivers and install the appropriate new drivers. Also make sure your hard drive mode matches your old bios. (IDE vs AHCI mode) *Remember Drivers are what tells the operating system how to talk to the hardware*

As far as the hard drive mode, there are guides on how to change this once windows is installed. If you install windows when your bios is in IDE mode then switch the bios to AHCI mode, windows doesn't like that.
I have done this a few times but not recently with windows 8 or 8.1 . I don't see a problem as long as you uninstall the old drivers and install the appropriate new drivers. Also make sure your hard drive mode matches your old bios. (IDE vs AHCI mode) *Remember Drivers are what tells the operating system how to talk to the hardware*

As far as the hard drive mode, there are guides on how to change this once windows is installed. If you install windows when your bios is in IDE mode then switch the bios to AHCI mode, windows doesn't like that.

Solution