Would You Pay $1000 For A Pixel Qi Screen Tablet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cesmadj

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ah so judgmental! Say you are construction supervisor in Dubai that need to read plans outside or any other worker that needs to do stuff outside! Being able to actually read something while in the sun is in fact big deal for some industries!
Value is relative really, however I see this technology as perfect screen in something like Panasonic Thoughbooks not run of the mill netbooks.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]I'd have to say no...If I can buy a tablet for $400 - $500, and an e-reader for $150 or so, wouldn't $600 - $700 be a more appropriate price?No way would I spend $1000 on an item like that.[/citation]This is what I was thinking. I could get Amazon's new tablet AND an e-ink Kindle for around $400. If they were asking $500-600 for their Pixel Qi tablet they might have a market.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
PiQi said their screens would not differ much from standard LCD technology, and would be manufactured nearly the same; in other words, their price should be the same as a similar LCD screen, not over 5 times the price!

cesmadj

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
As with any new tech there is a premium to pay, however if Samsung or LG buys these guys out, than I am sure, the price will go down very fast.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
WOULD LOVE A LAPTOP WITH A PIXEL QI SCREEN - but not with those specifications at that price.

on the price
-------------------
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220985
$250 for netbook retail ( with screen )
http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPQ01
$275 for screen retail

= $525 retail Hmm so theres a 50% mark up on something already with a retail markup.

------------

also the specifications are terrible. A resolution of 1024 x 600 on a single core atom machine. thats too small and too slow.

pixel qi have a 1280x800 screen coming out soon which I would consider the minimum resoltion to get anything done.

- start rant -
The thing that really annoys me most about pixel qi is that they have the innovative technology yet they are so rubbish at selling it people. When the screens first came out they were selling kits for that worked with specific models of netbooks. that means you had to buy a netbook, invalidate the warranty and try and fit the screen. If you failed you lost both the netbook and the screen. Thats quite a big risk. They knew the models that work so they could have just bought the netbooks wholesale and fit the screens themselves and then sell them direct. It certainly would help aviod the sharks like the one in the article. Pixel qi seem to me to be a classic case of an innovator that hasn't got the hang of the whole "selling the product to the customer" thing ( they probably don't even realise how bad they are at selling the stuff ( or not selling in this case ) ). If they sold from their site a range of laptops and netbooks with a range of processors and screen sizes - not just 1024x600 screens on single core atoms - they might broaden their appeal enough to actually start selling their innovation. but as long as it's difficult to buy and the choice is limited to low power machines with limited resolution they probably won't be selling anything in quantity. Oh well I guess I'l just have to resort to reading printed media outside instead. deep breath
- end rant -

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS