Discussion WOW Classic, more annoying than fun, what is your opinion?

Been playing WOW Classic with the wife a bit. After a few weeks, even with add-ons installed I am calling it "the stupid annoying game". Travel is too slow, running to areas and from the graveyard is not "gaming" or fun. Bag limitations do make you think a bit about what to keep but after a very long time with larger item stacks available and removing junk that takes up space like shards, bullets, arrows, etc.. it seems like just more annoyances to live with. Going back to fighting for kills and items in areas, eh.. "challenging" is the nicest word I would use for that, more like "very annoying". Again, standing in an area waiting for spawns to compete with 4 other groups or looting every 5th corpse in a party is not gaming nor fun.

Crafting and gathering items, was there really a need to go back to the old time to do that? Waiting longer to pick a flower, to "fail" at it, silly, not fun. And same as kills, if another player gets to the node you are trying to run to, or are clearing a monster in the area first as they run past you, it's gone and you need to find another one. With 5 others doing the same thing. When you die or log off, the tracking also gets turned off, so you need to turn that on a lot. Buffs last much shorter times, clicking a buff every 2 or 5 minutes is not fun, just a time waster. Anything under 15 minutes is a waste of a buff unless it's a powerful one that can only be on for short time and is on a cool-down. A 2 or 5 minute buff will run out before you can even get to some places to use it against something. Buff, kill a monster, buff again, kill, buff, kill buff, not fun.

It seems like people are just trying to out-hardcore each other, like eating spicy foods to show their toughness, and are mistaking being harder and more annoying for fun. There were good reasons that changes were put in place in WOW, because the players wanted them. Then some years later for some reason those same players wanted to be back to the dark ages LOL So we were all kicked in the nuts for a bit, then Blizzard was nice and stopped doing it. People then forgot what is was like and the silly ones went "Hey, I remember when we were getting kicked in the nuts all day long, boy I miss that, lets start it up again."

For me WOW Classic would be much better with a mix of old and new. Add a few more graveyards and flight paths, add longer timers on buffs and shorter timers on crafting, make items stack in larger numbers for crafting, keep the personal loot. Not a lot of changes, but those changes would make stupid annoying game actually fun.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019
I came back to WoW after years because of classic.
I believe the game will define the kind of players that will stay after the hype and I hope Blizzard doesn't make of classic another retail version.

There are no more excuses for either "group" of players. If you don't like classic, you got retail and vice-versa.
There is no right or wrong, it comes down to preferences.

I had a much greater time during the first years of WoW because not everyone enjoys games with "no shortcuts". The "easier" it got, less connection with players you had, it became just about completing quests and dailies.

Hard and scarce environments bring people together and that's what WoW had of best.

I came back to WoW after years because of classic.
I believe the game will define the kind of players that will stay after the hype and I hope Blizzard doesn't make of classic another retail version.

There are no more excuses for either "group" of players. If you don't like classic, you got retail and vice-versa.
There is no right or wrong, it comes down to preferences.

I had a much greater time during the first years of WoW because not everyone enjoys games with "no shortcuts". The "easier" it got, less connection with players you had, it became just about completing quests and dailies.

Hard and scarce environments bring people together and that's what WoW had of best.

I don't mind a lot of things about classic, but the current version needs a bit of tweaking to be less annoying. Sure a decade+ ago some things were normal, but right now Classic feels like going back to a rotary phone after getting used to Android smart phones. Just a bit more of item stacking, just a bit of less running, a bit of faster crafting. Unless you are on a PvP server there should not be as much fighting over resources through not having personal loot or resource nodes being restricted to a single player use. Add in a second graveyard and flight path to areas. To me that would be a more compelling game. Make it 30% less annoying and it would be 100% better.

I mean if we think about it, most of the changes made to WOW was because players were asking for it, or making add-ons to do what the players wanted. I don't think all those players praising Classic as the best thing ever remember that those same players was why things changed in the first place. Almost every feature put in WOW was a copy of some add-on that was available. Inventory was cumbersome, so someone did an add on, then WOW built that in. Quest and navigation was not simple, so someone did an add on, then WOW built that in. Now all they did was remove it all and put the functions back to the add on makers, except with some added things that were not changed like time to loot things.

Last edited: