WoW Played in Google TV Via Cloud Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Cloudgaming is today is a no go for me. The reasons are several including:
* Latency - your input (mouse/keyboard) have to be sent to the server and then processed and then sent to the game servers instead of directly sent to the game servers.
* Double chance to get disconnected - You have to have a stable link to the steam service wich also have to be connected to the server, instead of directly to the games server.

Until the day the internet is both stable and have maby a few ms latecny no matter where you send/reviece to it cant compete with a computer handeling the game.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
OMG RPD gaming, its so original. lol

Im already able to play PC games on my TV! I use a DVI splitter, 1 goes to my 24'' LCD and the other goes in a DVI->HDMI dongle and into my 47'' TV. No lag at all.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
It's like going from Katy Perry to Amy Winehouse...you'll notice a pretty big damn difference.
Now why in God's name would you do something like that!? Katy Perry is SO hot!

Back on topic, I'm with rantoc on this one. Playing a game on the cloud is already questionnable as it is (I'll admit I never tried yet), but playing a game which rely to an online server is adding to much to the equation.

Regular game : Client
Online game : Client -> Server -> Client
Regular game on the cloud : Client -> Server -> Client
Online game on the cloud : Client -> Server A -> Server B -> Server A -> Client.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
It is unplayable... until you adjust the lag or turn off PVR function. The delay you experience is because the TV tuner adds 1 second for PVR functions (pause, rewind, etc.).

So it's unfair to compare this to a cloud gaming service since the delay is fixed. It doesn't mean that gaming is any faster though...

Status
Not open for further replies.