WoW Subscriber Base Hits 11.5 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
blizzard should know that there are only 5 millions players in wow, and some of them with like 20 accounts.... and you should as well as add the 3 million that play on cracked servers...

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I stopped playing the damn game. Vanilla wow was fun, BC was ok, Lich king? Its completely geared to the casual player, its all too easy. and its all grinding, everyones the same, theres no uniquness anymore, its been homogenized..

WoW will crash, obviously, everyone knows that. I'm hoping sooner then later.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I have absolutely no trouble keeping from going back to warcraft. I'd rather place my genitals in a blender to be honest. This article cracked me up though, "..has become a monstrous boss of a game, taking down former champions Everquest, Lord of the Rings Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Lineage II, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and more in one fell swoop."

Hrmm, lets see, Everquest was 5 years old when it was released and had already long since hit its peak. DAOC was hardly affected by WOW, as DAOC players were interested in PVP, and WOW's was and is lackluster. Vanguard:SOH's failure had absolutely jack to do with WOW, and LOTR:O catered to a completely different style of player and never wanted nor intended to try to take down the "wow" monster. As for Lineage II, the vast majority of the subscriber base for that game was korean, so maybe in the asian market WOW hosed Lineage II? I don't now.

I'm just getting so sick and tired of the constant nutswinging by the general media on WOW. The idea that because something is popular automatically means its quality and/or good is just fallacious and wrong.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
dude they make an MMO on universe of starcraft korea is going be nuts! thinking about how many of em play starcraft it is like a sport :eek:. Starcraft will always be a great! battle net wootz. blizzard adds something to the game where your 50 dallors can worth endless hours of enterntainment

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
WoW will go the way of AOL, as neither of those concerns could change enough to stay fresh and compelling enough to attract new p(l)ayers while keeping the old ones.

This is in accordance with prophecy.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
yeah, what's with hating it? playing another game?
anyways, not surprising for me, i've played all blizzard games since diablo 1. they keep on making quality games, they deserve it.
quality meaning everything on the game. can't think of any developer that come close. i still love how starcraft feels and play than any other realtime strategy game.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

Fine by me. The more money they make, the more potential MMO's will be made by others in competition. And that's where the really great games will come out. If they make no money, there's not much buzz for a markget.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]yeah, what's with hating it? playing another game?anyways, not surprising for me, i've played all blizzard games since diablo 1. they keep on making quality games, they deserve it.quality meaning everything on the game. can't think of any developer that come close. i still love how starcraft feels and play than any other realtime strategy game.[/citation]
+1 They make games that you would enjoy playing 10 years latter a little bit such as starcraft.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I question their numbers. I say this because I know tons of people who tried WoW though the "trial" period and then never touched it again.

I want to know how many of those 11.5 million are current ACTIVE subscribers. Don't just tell us how many subscribed over the past years. That's like Time magazine counting subscribers from 40 years ago.

Aothen

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
If you're bitching and complaining about WoW, yet you've never played, you sir/mam are an idot! If you freaking don't like WoW, then dont play.......Please!

Blizzard is for sure doing the right things, concerning WoW...

klonedesu

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
[citation][nom]kutark[/nom]DAOC was hardly affected by WOW, as DAOC players were interested in PVP, and WOW's was and is lackluster.[/citation]
Have you ever played WoW? They've kicked up the pvp a lot since it first came out (Back then it was pretty much non-existent). I've actually enjoyed the pvp in WoW a lot. But I do agree with the fact that WoW is a bit overrated. It's fun but it's definitely not as worship worthy as some people make it out to be :p

texasbob

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
[citation][nom]stromm[/nom]I question their numbers. I say this because I know tons of people who tried WoW though the "trial" period and then never touched it again.I want to know how many of those 11.5 million are current ACTIVE subscribers. Don't just tell us how many subscribed over the past years. That's like Time magazine counting subscribers from 40 years ago.[/citation]

actual this is in the press release as well: "The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules."

MrBradley

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I tried the trial version but I found the game dissapointing. I've never played WoW at all. I've been an avid FPS gamer in games such as MoH, Cod2/4/5, CS 1.6, CS:S, TF2, BF2, and Bioshock so this is not very surprising because I have not tried many RTS style game. But me having no experience what-so-ever with this game, I found it very confusing and wandered for 15 minutes trying to figure this out when I just decided it wasnt enough to keep me playing. It was nice looking but WoW just didnt meet my expectations.

G

With millions of paying subs to WoW, with Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 on the horizon, and with zero debt, ATVI's stock price is almost hitting book value. Go Figure.

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
How can anybody possibly think of this being bad? The fact is regaurdless of how you feel about WoW, Blizzard is doing the right thing. They sleep on piles of cash...other company's want that cash, so they make better games...Blizzard uses that cash to hire better designers and make better games...better games are made all around...we all win.

Status
Not open for further replies.