[SOLVED] Wow, the deals! Help me pick between AMD and Intel.

JackDonoghue

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Hey guys, got a question here,

I am currently running an intel system and am due for an upgrade. I have always ran intel. At the moment there is a deal on amazon for an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X for $200 and an intel i7 9700k for $365. Help me choose, I will be mostly gaming with some video editing tossed in. I have never worked with amd, so keep the change of brands in mind. I will have to buy a new motherboard either way. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: 3600 vs i7 9700k

Last edited:

JackDonoghue

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
You could probably get a 3600 it's the same price and pretty sure outperforms the 2700X
Is that worth it over the 9700k? Is it worth the work to switch from intel to amd?
Plus its got 2 less cores (more threads yes) but performs worse than the i7 by a few percent. Im not sure on AMD but there new cards are putting me on the edge.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
9700k. Hands down one of the best gaming cpus at the moment.
BUT-
The moment you add other tasks, it falls off. You mentioned video editing, so knock the 9700k off that list.

While the 3600 does have the best value, this is really going to come down to what your video editing software likes(more threads, ram capacity, gpu).
Not all software utilizes the same resources.

What else is going into this system? What kind of total budget is there and what resolution do you plan to be gaming at? Are there plans to reuse any existing hardware?

Personally, I would go for the Ryzen 3600 option, and put the couple-hundred dollars saved toward graphics hardware or other components. Keep in mind that the 9700K will also require a decent aftermarket cooler. The Ryzen 3600 appears to perform close to a stock i7-8700/8700K in the reviews I've seen so far, being a little faster in some applications, and a little slower in others, and those processors perform just slightly behind the 9700K. Even for gaming, I just can't see spending so much more for marginally better performance that will be completely unnoticeable. Putting the money saved toward better graphics hardware would undoubtedly result in far greater performance gains.

Reactions: rigg42