Question Wraith prism fan not spinning

Dec 12, 2019
Today I bought Gigabyte X570 aorus pro and Ryzen 7 3700X, set everything up.
I was having boot issues from the start, first the DRAM led was lighting up, after that it booted fine. Restarted my PC, it wouldn't boot, CPU led was lit. Tried again, it booted.
The CPU fan spins for a bit when I turn the PC on, but it stops shortly after.
I monitored the temp with hwmonitor, CPU climbed to over 100 degrees celsius. Checked BIOS, it showed CPU temp at NEGATIVE 55 degrees.

EDIT: BIOS version was F3, updated to F4, made no difference.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
maybe make sure CPU is seated proper I assume cooler had Pre applied thermal paste. .. did you make sure to take the plastic off of it ? , , make sure RAM is in proper DIMM slots (if only using 2) .. unplug all SSD?HDD other than the Boot drive..

Dec 12, 2019
I plugged out the fan cable, then plugged it back in, looks like it fixed this issue.
I feel like such an idiot now...
BIOS also shows normal temperature now.

Although, CPU temperature seems to flap between 40 and 60 degrees celsius while idling.
I'll try some other tool besides hwmonitor to see how the temps differ.

Also, is it just me or is the wraith prism loud?

Should this thread be closed or are these two issues related enough to keep it open?

EDIT: The CPU led on the motherboard is still on when PC is shut down.

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ryzen master is only way to get true reading . you may also want to make sure your power settings are set to "AMD Ryzen Balanced" . under windows 10 power options. I believe this will be an option once Ryzen master is installed

Dec 12, 2019
So, comparing ryzen master, hwinfo and hwmonitor, ryzen master shows by far the lowest and most stable temperatures ranging from 32 to 37 degrees celsius, averaging on ~35 with no big fluctuations.

hwinfo and hwmonitor show almost the same temperatures following the same pattern.
Temperature between 34 and 38, followed by a sudden jump of 10 degrees, then dropping back to 34-38 over the course of 5 seconds.

Power plan is set to ryzen balanced.

EDIT: The red CPU let on the motherboard glows when the PC is turned off, but not when it's on.

Last edited: