[SOLVED] Wraith stealth good enough to cool 2700x temporarily?

Silamon

Honorable
May 14, 2014
I am planning to upgrade a friend's pc to a ryzen 2700x processor, unfortunately the stock cooler on his 1300x required removing the brackets to mount and he no longer has them.

2700x's wraith prism cooler requires those brackets, is it possible to buy just the bracket and not the backplate? Should I try and get an official replacement from the motherboard manufacturer or will something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2BXDQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 work fine too?
And would the wraith stealth from 1300x be able to cool a 2700x temporarily or should I wait to get the bracket replacement to install it?

Solution
What, exactly, do you think it doesn't come with that you need? It comes with full hardware kit including all brackets. The only thing it DOESN'T come with, is the backplate and stock retention plate. If the retention plate is all you need, then yes, the one you linked originally should probably work fine.

04_01.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You want to know if the stock cooler for a 4 core/4 thread, 65w TDP cpu will work on an 8 core/16 thread, 105w TDP cpu?

And you are upgrading your friends pc?

Short answer. I'm sorry, too busy laughing. Not a chance in (that place downstairs). The absolute smallest cooler you can ever put on a cpu is the stock cooler, and the Stealth that came with the 1300x is considerably smaller than the Prism. You'd be pushing your luck just in windows, never mind gaming.

Get the build straight first, game later. Band-aid fixes almost always result in tears.

Silamon

Honorable
May 14, 2014
You want to know if the stock cooler for a 4 core/4 thread, 65w TDP cpu will work on an 8 core/16 thread, 105w TDP cpu?

And you are upgrading your friends pc?

Short answer. I'm sorry, too busy laughing. Not a chance in (that place downstairs). The absolute smallest cooler you can ever put on a cpu is the stock cooler, and the Stealth that came with the 1300x is considerably smaller than the Prism. You'd be pushing your luck just in windows, never mind gaming.

Get the build straight first, game later. Band-aid fixes almost always result in tears.
Fair enough. Is there no way to buy just the brackets? I only see listings for the bracket and backplate. I only need the brackets to mount the prism and I don't really want to buy another cooler for it when I already have one.

First, none of those Wraith coolers come ANYWHERE near the performance of the Gammaxx 400, and wherever you heard that or whoever told you that, is a dumb.....duck.

Certainly, the Wraith Prism at full speed can match the Gammaxx 400, at 75% speed, but it will be miles louder, and it will NEVER be capable of managing a CPU with the same TDP as the Gammaxx 400. That's just nonsense. Aside from design and fan considerations, the disparity in surface area alone between those two coolers scientifically discourages the idea that that could ever, even remotely, be possible.

I'm sorry, but spending ten bucks, or even five, on parts, plus another five for shipping, when for less than twenty bucks you could have a significantly better cooler, is dumb.

And as I said, it's not quiet either. At all. Regardless of what anybody around here or elsewhere says. 44db is a god blessed train wreck compared to a decent cooler.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571-13.html

Last edited:

Silamon

Honorable
May 14, 2014
https://www.techspot.com/review/1635-amd-wraith-coolers-compared/ The comparison for overclocking was pretty much the same there. Prism was only slightly edged out by the gammax 400 on a ryzen 2600. I don't think I would call the Gammax significantly better?

EDIT: Oh, my mistake that was a gammax 200 they tested there.

Fair enough, I will get that one then. Thank you for the replies, even if they were a bit hostile.

Last edited:
What, exactly, do you think it doesn't come with that you need? It comes with full hardware kit including all brackets. The only thing it DOESN'T come with, is the backplate and stock retention plate. If the retention plate is all you need, then yes, the one you linked originally should probably work fine.

04_01.png

Solution

Silamon

Honorable
May 14, 2014
The stock cooler for 1300x required you to remove the clip on brackets to install it, it screws directly into the backplate. My friend threw those away because he did not think he would need them again.

Thank you for answering the question then. I was hoping to get just the brackets without the backplate, but I suppose its not that big a deal.

Yeah, aside from a couple of sites that offer them 3D printed, which are more expensive than just buying them with the backplate included, I haven't seen them available separately and a quick look shows I still don't see them. It was always pretty much the same scenario for AM3/AM3+ retention brackets too. Good luck man.

TRENDING THREADS