[SOLVED] Write-protected issue & formatted wrong size ?

sponkwig

Honorable
Aug 12, 2018
Not sure if this is the correct forum for my issue but couldn't see a more relevant one.

I have a 64GB micro SD card for my dashcam. A notification came up on the screen to say the memory card is full which surprised me because it’s supposed to write over older files.

After checking the card in my PC, I realised I had previously formatted it to FAT32, therefore, it was only using 32GB.

I tried reformatting it into NTFS and then any format because it kept stating the card is write protected even though there was no setting to suggest it was.

I tried deleting the files instead where it behaved as if they were being deleted but then after completion, they were still there!

After Googling, I used diskpart to reset any write protected attributes and tried formatting the card again to no avail as the latter comes up with an 'unknown error' message.

In Disk Management the unallocated space is seen but I can’t do anything with that software either.

Is it <expletive deleted> fubared or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks very much.

Solution
I have a 64GB micro SD card for my dashcam. A notification came up on the screen to say the memory card is full which surprised me because it’s supposed to write over older files.
They sometimes do that, even if they DO write over the old file.
One of mine does.

The ending free space is just barely too small for the next 5 mins of video, so it gives a warning.
It deletes and writes new anyway.

Format it while IN the dashcam and see what happens.
Not sure if this is the correct forum for my issue but couldn't see a more relevant one.

After checking the card in my PC, I realised I had previously formatted it to FAT32, therefore, it was only using 32GB.

I tried reformatting it into NTFS and then any format because it kept stating the card is write protected even though there was no setting to suggest it was.

I tried deleting the files instead where it behaved as if they were being deleted but then after completion, they were still there!

After Googling, I used diskpart to reset any write protected attributes and tried formatting the card again to no avail as the latter comes up with an 'unknown error' message.

In Disk Management the unallocated space is seen but I can’t do anything with that software either.

Is it buggered or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks very much.
What do the instructions for the dashcam say about the necessary format for the SD card? Perhaps if you identify the dashcam someone with a similar unit can help.

USAFRet

Titan
They sometimes do that, even if they DO write over the old file.
One of mine does.

The ending free space is just barely too small for the next 5 mins of video, so it gives a warning.
It deletes and writes new anyway.

Format it while IN the dashcam and see what happens.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution