Write Win 8 Tutorial, Win a Tom’s Goodie Bag

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]WeGotAholdOfAPotFullOfGold[/nom]And why on the business side users get to install windows 7, but on the consumer side users are force fead windows 8! M$ wants consumer computers to be nuthing more than shopping kiosks! I would like my computer to remain a general purpose computer, and not an extension of the M$ store! Metro is the tip of the iceburg and a large BLUE iceburg, that is the beginning of M$ plan to depreciate the desktop, and turn our computers into a M$ sales channel bonanza![/citation]

BS. Consumers still have tons of options with Windows 7. Dell has dozens of consumer models with Windows 7, HP has about two dozen models with Windows 7, and I could go on. Newegg has also got a total of over a thousand systems with Windows 7.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I won't be posting mine since I am in canada quebec, so I can't participate!

Don`t bother: as always is open for US residents ONLY !

Actually, there are no "official contest rules" on this since it's promotional items, and we don't have to. So, where we're normally not able to run stuff internationally, on this one, go right ahead. I've sent some of these hammers and USB sticks out as far as Tanzania and Iran to some of our users there. They do look at you funny at the post office when you try to ship an 8 gb flash drive to Iran, mind you. :p

translation: you create the content, we get the ad revenue.
how about you give 100% of the ad revenue to each tutorial author?

The shipping alone on the goodie bag is worth more. But you make a good point, and this is something we're looking at exploring with a Solutions feature, doing bounties on questions and topics and things of that nature. We run the site, paying for bandwidth, reporters, editors and community critters like myself using ad revenue. When many of your news outlets and media sources are going all paywall on you, we're aggressively trying to reduce the ad impact.

We put forward this contest because we spotted a need in Windows 8. We had a lot of unanswered questions, a lot of users coming to that particular forum category and not finding what they needed. Also, I want to get rid of some of these squishy Bestofmedia stress balls I have boxes and boxes of.

G

If M$ can not develop a manual for this, then maybe M$ needs to spend some of those Billions writing decent documentation, Windows 8 is such a Kiddy OS, and M$ documentation is so third grade!
The M$ Knoledge base is one big unmanaged heap of thrid rate documentation!

[citation][nom]CogentNOT[/nom]If M$ can not develop a manual for this, then maybe M$ needs to spend some of those Billions writing decent documentation, Windows 8 is such a Kiddy OS, and M$ documentation is so third grade!The M$ Knoledge base is one big unmanaged heap of thrid rate documentation![/citation]

MS does provide tutorials and lists of all shortcuts. Tom's isn't asking for stuff because MS provides nothing. Tom's is asking for more.

G

blazorthon, Still have a few windows 7 OSs, but not on the latest hardware! Blue will put an end to the desktop slowly, and as sure as the sun comes up every day the desktop will be eroded away! This VistaBobME OS called windows 8, is just the beginning! People who want their computers to be theirs, will not take the bait, and Steam and many others are making the move to Linux and other OSs it is just a matter of time before computer OEMs will no longer look at Windows as a selling point for their products, and then the M$ grip will be no more!

G

Surface-pro owners report shocks while charging.

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/surface-pro-owners-report-shocks-while-charging-20130222/

[citation][nom]BreakTheGrip[/nom]blazorthon, Still have a few windows 7 OSs, but not on the latest hardware! Blue will put an end to the desktop slowly, and as sure as the sun comes up every day the desktop will be eroded away! This VistaBobME OS called windows 8, is just the beginning! People who want their computers to be theirs, will not take the bait, and Steam and many others are making the move to Linux and other OSs it is just a matter of time before computer OEMs will no longer look at Windows as a selling point for their products, and then the M$ grip will be no more![/citation]

LOL, the only reason Steam is pissed about 8 is that 8 has a competing game distribution platform. Steam probably thought that MS was merging Xbox and Windows more thoroughly back when it was announced and got a little worried, but all for naught when it turned out that MS's new gaming distribution platform had little to nothing worth buying as of yet. Several other companies were worked up over that. Steam doesn't care what you think about the OS (in fact, Steam has higher recorded Windows 8 adoption rate than any other platform according to Steam statistics). Steam making a Linux client was just out of wanting to ditch MS, but also expansion.

This next part is just speculation, but if they made it to Ubuntu and many of its derivatives, then they may also make it to PS4 and more ;)

G

Yes Steam is now supporting Linux, and another selling point for windows (Gaming), is no longer a selling point for OEMs to care about M$, and its strongarm tactics! Gaming will drive the adoption of Linux, and more development funds will be spent on Linux! OEMs will see more people using Linux, and begin to rid themselfs of the M$ TAX! Linux developers are needed, and colleges will begin to train students and fund development of Linux! Market share can increase rapidly, especially with the rise of android and other Linux derivatives!

@ blazorthon
Things like snap and task bar pinning do not result with people studying programming and who have PC businesses as well as others who have been around computers most of their life being totally unable to complete a simple task on a PC equipped with W8.
W7 did have some annoying differences that took some web searching to find out about but there was nothing that rendered the whole PC useless until a W7/Vista/XP machine was fired up and how to tutorials were watched.

W7 PC's are widely available still.

Different can be good it promotes progress. Too different can be very bad. very Very bad.

G

Windows 7 computers are still available, but is Win 7 available on the latest hardware! Will any haswell computers come with windows 7? What are the downgrade rights? Why will M$ not let the market decide, by letting the consumer choose what OS they want Win 7, or Win 8? I am not in the buying mood, if I can not get windows 7 on any haswell based computers that will be for sale! OEMs can not expect sales to increase unless the consumer has the option of getting the OS or the OS version that they want. The PC sales slump will continue past the first half of 2013!

G

Metro is the best, so don't contest,
riding the wave of the Windows 8 crest.
It's lean and clean, yaaaaay we scream,
get that Metro on your screen!

It's fun and fast, it's top of the mast,
it's not like the desktop trapped in the past!
So boo to Linux, and boo to the hate,
The future's Metro and Windows 8!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

If people want W7 on new machines they will get it. Much the same as happened with Vista, people demanded the XP downgrade, when faced with loosing sales or doing the downgrade most shops were happy to oblige.

[citation][nom]NoBumpJustSlump[/nom]Windows 7 computers are still available, but is Win 7 available on the latest hardware! Will any haswell computers come with windows 7? What are the downgrade rights? Why will M$ not let the market decide, by letting the consumer choose what OS they want Win 7, or Win 8? I am not in the buying mood, if I can not get windows 7 on any haswell based computers that will be for sale! OEMs can not expect sales to increase unless the consumer has the option of getting the OS or the OS version that they want. The PC sales slump will continue past the first half of 2013![/citation]

Windows 7 is on many of the current Ivy Bridge systems, so there's hope for Haswell systems being given it, but I admit that I doubt it will be big on that platform as a default option. You'll probably be able to ask the OEMs for it directly if you really care that much about it. Most consumers don't care about their OS, so I doubt that OEMs will see further drops caused by OS choice.

Also, some OEMs improved in sales thus far. Not all of them are losing. Furthermore, Windows 8 hardly had anything to do with that. It's been the general trend of the market. Windows 8 would have needed to be a godsend along with other miracles for that trend to have even been halted, let alone stopped.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Step 1: Clean install Windows7 or Linux over Win8.
Step 2: Bury Win 8, the Microsoft management staff especially Ballmer in the desert.
Step 3: Bury the shovel.

face it folks... MS is not bring back Window7... the end-goal is WindowsRT. METRO replaces Windows...

There ARE no Windows in the MetroUI... so they'll keep the name for marketing reasons. By "win9 or Win10", it won't run anyone legacy Win7 or older software.

The typical end user (idiot) will just live with Win8.... They'll pay the $120~$250 single PC license of MS-Office.

The hardcore or power-users will move to Linux.... or even MacOS.

Windows RIP.

There SHOULD have been TWO versions of win8. The current one, FOR TABLET TYPES ONLY (aka touch screens), and a version for PCs (aka desktop computers), that would be win7 with improvements, same layout.
I, for one, like having more then one screen open at a time. I can't get win8 to do that, no resize on the boxes. And win8 cannot function without REQUIRED keystrokes on computers.

[citation][nom]computertech82[/nom]There SHOULD have been TWO versions of win8. The current one, FOR TABLET TYPES ONLY (aka touch screens), and a version for PCs (aka desktop computers), that would be win7 with improvements, same layout.I, for one, like having more then one screen open at a time. I can't get win8 to do that, no resize on the boxes. And win8 cannot function without REQUIRED keystrokes on computers.[/citation]

Windows 8 had a goal in mind with unifying the experience. It simply didn't do a great job of it for various reasons. Having two different versions of 8 with non-similar UIs would have completely failed this goal instead of just partially. MS should have done a better job of it, not a different job entirely.

Also, I don't need to use any keystroke combinations to use 8.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
My suggestion for W8 manual, skip it at all.
Motivation? February market share result for Windows 8, source Netapplications: +0,4%
For reference, on same source, same first months from launch, 7 scored +2% to 4% results, and Vista from 1% to 2%.
Do you see Balmmer what happens when you release a product more than twice bad than Vista? It sells more than twice worse than Vista.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hate to parrot everyone else but I'm thinking the feeling seems to be going about 80% in that direction anyways so....

For pc impaired users:
1. boot pc
2. get frustrated with unfamiliar interface
3. throw pc out window
4. buy a Mac
For advanced users:
1. torrent Windows 7 or download the latest copy of Ubuntu
2. 2urn disk
3. completely reformat
4. install working OS

And before you say I'm a hater, yes, I used 8.
I found it clunky and annoying on a desktop pc without a touchscreen (I imagine a tablet interface would feel much smoother). I absolutely hated the metro interface. It felt extremely unorganized, sloppy and rushed.

nigma_x

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Uninstall Win 8
Install Win 7
Wait for release of Win 9 "Win 8 2.0" You know the version that they get right after the bad previous version
Start campaign to fire Balmer.
Laugh at Tom's for thinking this was a good idea.

G

And like an away team member with a red shirt, Windows 8 METRO, It's dead Jim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS