Question Writing simultaneously to 2 different HDD

Jan 27, 2023
File-System-Mirroringto-Secondary-Drive.jpg

Hi,
For some reasons (very old database engine that does not allow replicating nor anything) which I can't change, I need a workaround to lower the number of connections to my main database server.
So I want to keep only my integrated management software with read/write access to the database.

All other tools would use a mirror of this database in read only mode.
My idea to have all data synced immediately on my secondary server is to use the file system (as this database engine stores everything in his file system).
I have already tested this with copy/paste the files manually and it works.

Now I need live writing to both HDD !
I don't know if this should be done at file system level / software level / hardware level..... I don't even know if this is possible !

Thank you very much for your benevolent answers on this topic.
:)

USAFRet

Titan
Having read through this 3 times, I remain confused.

"All other tools would use a mirror of this database in read only mode. "

A mirror would need to be written to.

"Now I need live writing to both HDD ! "

How does this impact that previous read only?

What software is this?
Presumably a business environment?

Jan 27, 2023
I'm building a POC here so please give your recommendation and I'll give it a try respecting everything you advise.
As I said I don't even know if this is doable so please advise :)
Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm building a POC here so please give your recommendation and I'll give it a try respecting everything you advise.
As I said I don't even know if this is doable so please advise :)
Thanks.
Without application support, or rewriting the OS, I don't know of a way this is possible.
Database performance problems are usually either a problem with too little RAM available to the database or an indexing problem. Does this database software have any performance analysis tools available ?

Jan 27, 2023
What OS is under this DB software ?
How much RAM does the server host have? How much is allocated to the database ?

Thank you for your answer.
The database is version 11.10.0.24 which is no longer maintained (we can't do anything on this as this is used by a third party software) on Windows OS.
I'll get answers to your other questions from my sysadmin.
Thanks.

Jan 27, 2023
Thank you for your answer.
The database is version 11.10.0.24 which is no longer maintained (we can't do anything on this as this is used by a third party software) on Windows OS.
I'll get answers to your other questions from my sysadmin.
Thanks.
  • Proc: 8 Intel Xeon Gold 6152 @ 2.10Ghz
  • RAM: 32Go

kanewolf

Titan
  • Proc: 8 Intel Xeon Gold 6152 @ 2.10Ghz
  • RAM: 32Go
A Xeon gold is new enough hardware that you can add LOTS of RAM. It also has 22 cores. But it is optomized for six DIMMS. 32GB is not optomized for that hardware.

You need to start with the Sys Admins and your management to look at a hardware upgrade to get more RAM. Then tune the OS (shared memory) so that you can allocate more memory to the Sybase process. There are Sybase 11 and Sybase 12 documents on the web if you search for them.
There is also a SAP/Sybase user's group -- https://www.isug.com/index/ase Join that board for experts.

Also take advantage of the used book market -- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3519243.m570.l1313&_nkw=sybase+11+books&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023
A Xeon gold is new enough hardware that you can add LOTS of RAM. It also has 22 cores. But it is optomized for six DIMMS. 32GB is not optomized for that hardware.

You need to start with the Sys Admins and your management to look at a hardware upgrade to get more RAM. Then tune the OS (shared memory) so that you can allocate more memory to the Sybase process. There are Sybase 11 and Sybase 12 documents on the web if you search for them.
There is also a SAP/Sybase user's group -- https://www.isug.com/index/ase Join that board for experts.

Also take advantage of the used book market -- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3519243.m570.l1313&_nkw=sybase+11+books&_sacat=0

Thanks for this.

Also as I said the aim is to lower the number of connection to the production environment as it is used by our employees (250 persons) through our third party software provider.

That's why we wanted to deflect all other tools connections to a secondary database server.