Question X-99 ram capacity and compatibility

John1029

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2017
I have an Asus x99-A motherboard paired with 2690v4 and 2x32gb 2Rx4 ECC ram sticks

I was looking at adding more ram but in doing so came to find the board can unfortunately only handle 64gb
However in the manual it says it can only handle 8gb sticks(16gb later on with a bios update?)
So I was wondering how and why my 32gig sticks are working in the first place when supposedly incompatible.
Is it because of rank 2? Possible further update to allow more then 16gb
Then I was also curious, would it be possible to load more then 64gb of ram?
Can it handle more since the individual stick limit was increased or are those separate specs

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The CPU supports 1.5TB of memory, but I am sure that was more intended for the server chipset, not HEDT.

I show several 8x16GB supported configurations in the QVL, so a 64GB limit doesn't seem correct. At launch time 8GB was about the common size of memory available to the target consumer.

4x32GB DS should work. I have my doubts on 8x32GB as nothing close to that looks to be supported, but I could be surprised.

Reactions: John1029

John1029

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2017
The CPU supports 1.5TB of memory, but I am sure that was more intended for the server chipset, not HEDT.
Yeah wont be getting anywhere close to that so no worries there
I show several 8x16GB supported configurations in the QVL, so a 64GB limit doesn't seem correct. At launch time 8GB was about the common size of memory available to the target consumer.

4x32GB DS should work. I have my doubts on 8x32GB as nothing close to that looks to be supported, but I could be surprised.
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I don't think I have any current need to go over 4x32 so that's great, maybe I'll experiment with more knowing I can at least get 2 sticks with good chances it'll function.