x16 architecture; how do you know?

precipitate8

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
My motherboard is not compatible with x16 DIMMs. When shopping for RAM, how can I tell if a module is x16 or not? I can always find clockspeed, CAS, even bandwidth, but never the architecture type (even on the product manufacture web page). The motherboard I'm using: Intel 975XBX Revison #5. Thanks for the read.

precipitate8

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
No takers :) ? If it helps, what I'm trying to do is put 8 gigs of RAM in my system. I tried putting 4 gigs of pqi in a while back (2 gigs actually works fine, but no more than two; tested all sticks and they all worked) but after much back and forth with intel, they told me my RAM was x16 architecture which was not a memory type supported by the board. Intel has a few 2 gig sticks on their "tested" list, but they are either non-ecc or are brands I don't really trust (I will probably oc the ram some). If I could just figure out which modules were x16, that would really open my options up. If anyone has any suggestions....

You might check the website(s) for for the brand(s) you would be comfortable having. You could contact the techs by email or in a forum, depending on the mfr.

from the Intel site for D975XBX2: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d975xbx2/sb/CS-026616.htm
your specs:
* 1.8 V and 1.9 V DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs
* Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
* 8 GB maximum total system memory
* Minimum total system memory: 128 MB
* ECC DIMMs and Non-ECC DIMMs
* Serial Presence Detect
* DDR2 800, DDR2 667, and DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

The techs should be able to tell the model numbers that meet those specs.
Good luck