X1800 XT Not compatible with Core2Duo???

CobraCommander

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Interesting issue I have here...

I had been running my X1800XT (ATI) in my P5WDG2-WS with a Pentium D 840 for quite some time now with no issues...

I upgrade to a P5WDG2-WS Professional with the E6600 Core2Duo and I get a post error naming the X1800 as the culprit... I switch to a handy spare X850 and it boots fine so I check all the normal items like the seating of the card, etc and still the post beep codes prevail.

I started backing off new components, first the ram, which I didnt think would make a shit of a difference, but I did it anyway, and then the processor. I reinstalled my D and it booted? WTF? Install the Core2Duo and schmutz...back on its ass..

Has anyone run into this or know anyone that ran into this somewhere? I have ZERO settings manipulated from default (well, back when I was testing) and have a very good working knowledge of computers, so the easy stuff has been looked at.

Any ideas?

Primary Rig (1 of 7)
Asus P5W2GS-WS Professional
Intel E6600 Core2Duo
Corsair XMS2 2GB 6400C4 PRO DDR2-6400
ATI Radeon X1800XT
Koolance Exos / Polarflo Liquid Cooling
Adaptec 39320R SCSI RAID
Creative Audigy 4 Platinum
(4) Hitachi Ultrastar U320/15k SCSI (RAID-0) - Boot/Ops
(2) Seagate Barracuda 320GB/16Mb SATA (RAID-1) - Storage
Thermaltake Armor Aluminum Tower
HP Lightscribe 16x DVD
Sony 820U DVD
Dell 24" Widescreen
NEC 20.1 WMGX2 Secondary Widescreen

desidude006

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Its most likely because of your motherboard, make sure it has the latest drives from Asus. An Asus P5B whould have been a better upgrade for a mobo w/ a core 2 duo.

Windfish

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Well my E6300 and Radeon X1800XT go fine together, haven't had a chance to test them out on a game yet, as the sounds not up yet, and I'm downloading SP2 at the moment first. I only got the OS installed this afternnon, but I'm on a Gigabyte DS3, so I imagine its your motherboard that might be causing the problems.

CobraCommander

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Yeah, I cant find anything even remotely related to this topic and I did investigate the BIOS route with Asus, but there is nothing mentioned.

I usually dont like updating a BIOS unless I am experiencing the problem the update is meant to remedy, but in this case I think I might just to cover that base.

I dunno...ticks me off since I am in the middle of Q4 that I finally got around to playing and wanted to crunch out on the 1800

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I run a Asus P5B and MSI X1900XTX on a X6800 (not recommended) and I have to say it works great (when I dont Overclock the board).

I dont recommend any Asus board, for my experiance with the company has been HORRIBLE! Go buy a Gigabyte, I have had GREAT experiances in the past with their boards....

I would also suggest that you make sure you got the greatest and newest drivers... I would suggest that if that doesnt work contact the Mobo company and bitch, then send it in as a RMA, or a Return.

Mike