X1950PRO, TWO GPUS ON ONE!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
With added GPU cores, speed isn't the issue. I think you'll agree with me, that a single GPU is more than capable of running evertyhing maxed at at resolutions around 1600X1200. The problem with two or more GPUs is that there isn't anything that uses both GPU's at 100% usage at the same time, not to mention there isn't a CPU on the market that can keep up with the processing power of two GPU's. I look at SLi and CF the same way i look at quad core CPUs and Intels roadmap, why keep adding cores when less than 5% of the software is wrote multi-threaded, just doesn't make sense.

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
why wouldn't two gpu's be better?
If you had one gpu do world physic and one particle wouldn't that make for a smother game?
I would think if it was enabled that you would see performance similar to CF with two upper mid range cards beating the high end card. I haven't seen any benches but two x1950pros beat one x1950xtx, right? Is it the way physic is calculated that would be the issue or just r600 is going to do it so much better.
My point was more the use of this card in physic as a singe card. I believe many would oped for this instead of a mobo upgrade and buying two cards. Thats if it's possible with this card, I would like one card to do it all. To bad it can't run DX10 :(