Question X370 or x470

Trancegotten

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
So hello to all I have one question. The motherboard I have right now is the Asus rog strix b350 f gaming and ryzen 7 1700 but I want better overclock and manually voltage not offset should I go to x370 chipset for my next upgrade because I have 1 gen ryzen (1700) or should I go x470 chipset???

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
AMD said it would support the AM4 socket to sometime in 2020. What AMD didn't say is it would support every cpu in that socket nor when. If AMD chooses to support 3rd gen Ryzen in B series boards it might not be until after the 3rd gen is actually released with the 3rd gen B boards. Thus promoting sales of X boards.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If AMD chooses to support 3rd gen Ryzen in B series boards it might not be until after the 3rd gen is actually released with the 3rd gen B boards. Thus promoting sales of X boards.
BIOS updates for B450 boards for Ryzen 3000 support are already rolling out. I don't even know if that's an AMD thing; they just release the AGESA microcode update (which seems to be the same across the various chipsets). It's up to the mobo manufacturers to integrate it into the BIOS and release it.

Edit: X370 boards are also already getting BIOS updates for Ryzen 3000.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly. AMD seems to be doing with the Ryzens exactly what it did with the FX. All those cpus physically fit the socket, same pinouts, and if board partners add bios recognition that's great, but good luck doing anything OC related on the low end B boards (760g), you'll need the higher end X mobo's (990FX) to get anything done or you risk frying the board. The B450 happens to have better VRM's than previous releases (MSI 970 Gaming etc) so isn't a problem.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Exactly. AMD seems to be doing with the Ryzens exactly what it did with the FX. All those cpus physically fit the socket, same pinouts, and if board partners add bios recognition that's great, but good luck doing anything OC related on the low end B boards (760g), you'll need the higher end X mobo's (990FX) to get anything done or you risk frying the board.

Thats a lot of speculation. So far there have not been major problems running Ryzen CPUs in any particular board at stock speeds. Unlike with FX where an 8350 or any of the 125w cpus would be mostly unstable in a 760G board stock. Also nobody is expecting major OC potential in a B series board. If you want to heavily overclock you should be buying an X board.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
True. It's all currently conjecture as nobody is really saying anything definite yet. And yes, I'm equating the supposed higher power draw of the 3000 series to the 125w cpus, leaving the 1000 and 2000 series as the 95w cpus. This would put the 3000 series as questionable on the low end B boards, no real OC capability, whereas the higher end B boards would be better off. Most ppl see the glass as either half full or half empty, I happen to see the glass as twice the size it needed to be. To my point of view, AMD is fulfilling its statement of support, but leaving it in the hands of the board partners to decide how. The board partners could have made B350 with better VRM's etc but chose not to, mostly, saving those for the X370 at the time.

And yes, I'm old school, definitely use the right tool for the job. Heavy OC = X mobo.

TRENDING THREADS