X470 Aorus Gaming 7 With Wifi

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
Can a motherboard carry a "temporary" residual electrical current after it has been turned off, which does not immediately dissipate, but takes approx 30 seconds to leave the motherboard?

Yes indeed, it's because of the capacitors in the PSU which hold residual current even if you unplug it from the wall-socket.

However, you can manually purge the PSU's capacitors after shutdown by unplugging PSU from wall-socket, then keeping PC's front power-on button pressed for around 20 seconds.

Be aware that some USB ports will always remain "live" after shutdown -- this is by design to allow you to charge phones & tablets without turning on the PC.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

Thankyou for your response. As i am not that familiar with the inner workings of a computers components, could you please tell me if per say, i was to unplug the psu cord from the wall socket, and then NOT press the power button on the motherboard, would this allow the residual current to cause damage to the motherboard?

(note: i have the case power button and the motherboard power button next to CMOS button).