[SOLVED] X470-F compatibility with Ryzen 7 3700X?

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Basically as per title, but I'll give some more detail here as well.

At the moment I have a Ryzen 5 2600. I'm looking at getting a 3700X but I am unsure about compatibility. PCPartPicker is giving me the impression that it may not be as simple as updating the BIOS, and motherboard/ CPU compatibility is not something I've delved into much in the past so I figured I'd ask here if it would be possible to use a Ryzen 7 3700X with the X470-F motherboard at all.

Thank-you in advance :)

Solution
I would wait until you actually get the 3700x, then update the BIOS just before you install the 3700x.
The BIOS update process is pretty simple using EZFlash in the BIOS (under the Tools Tab).
Just be sure to set the Optimized Default settings in the BIOS then save and reboot Before you do the BIOS update.
Then format a USB to FAT32 and unzip the BIOS file you are upgrading to onto the USB and then use EZFlash in the BIOS to upgrade.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I bought an Asus ROG Strix X470-F last October and it already had a Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS on it.
I installed a Ryzen 7 3700x on it and it works great.
So if you buy one now (7 months later) the chances are pretty good that it will run a 3700x out of the box as well.
I would ask the retailer if it has the Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready sticker on the box just to be sure.

Reactions: H0PEFU11Y

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
I bought an Asus ROG Strix X470-F last October and it already had a Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS on it.
I installed a Ryzen 7 3700x on it and it works great.
So if you buy one now (7 months later) the chances are pretty good that it will run a 3700x out of the box as well.
I would ask the retailer if it has the Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready sticker on the box just to be sure.

I bought mine about the same time as you! That's quite interesting. Do you know what BIOS version it was? I don't want to have to update mine unless I need to

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I believe it had BIOS version 5007 when I bought it.
Now I am using BIOS version 5406.

You can check the BIOS version in the BIOS setup (tap DEL key repeatedly at boot).
If it has version 4804 or newer it will support the 3700x.

But I would recommend that you update the BIOS to version 5406 eventually for the compatibility and performance benefits it offers with a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

Last edited:

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
I believe it had BIOS version 5007 when I bought it.
Now I am using BIOS version 5406.
Since you already have that motherboard what CPU do you currently have on it?
You can check the BIOS version in the BIOS setup (tap DEL key repeatedly at boot).
If it has version 4804 or newer it will support the 3700x.

But I would recommend that you update the BIOS to version 5406 eventually for the compatibility and performance benefits it offers with a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

Version 4207 unfortunately :( At the moment I have a Ryzen 2600

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would wait until you actually get the 3700x, then update the BIOS just before you install the 3700x.
The BIOS update process is pretty simple using EZFlash in the BIOS (under the Tools Tab).
Just be sure to set the Optimized Default settings in the BIOS then save and reboot Before you do the BIOS update.
Then format a USB to FAT32 and unzip the BIOS file you are upgrading to onto the USB and then use EZFlash in the BIOS to upgrade.

Last edited:
Solution