X5470 Max Temp 79 Degrees on stock clock! How!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Hi All,

I'm not new to overclocking and i've put an X5470 in my socket 775 mobo and the cores are running at around 79 degrees! How is this possible as the Max operating Temp for this chip is 65 degrees. What's weird is that the MOBO CPU H/W temp is showing around 55 degrees but as this includes ambient heat shouldn't it be showing higher that this? I've re-seated and applied new thermal paste so I know its not a socket issue....perhaps faulty thermometer on the board?

Help appreciated....

s1xDrR.jpg

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

I've reapplied artic silver thermal paste. Its old paste but it doesn't look dry. If it was dry what would it look like?

Also I've applied the heatsink with the locking side pointing north matching up with the arrive on the bracket so all seems correct there.

I have this heatsink:

http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/Z20-1148_chiclet01_ac_mn_4348163.jpg

Is it good enough for cooling xenon chips?

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Well spotted Supahos! Can you recommend a heatsink with sufficient cooling for a socket 771 X5470 chip that will fit socket 775?

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Ok thanks for your help and advice...really appreciate it :)

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

So i've brought a new cooler capable of cooling upto 200W CPU. I got an Artic cooler 13 Limited edition. The temps have gone down however they still exceed 65 degrees under full load on stock clock/voltage. I'm puzzled as to how this can be!! Any idea Supahos?

Capture.jpg

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Not real sure but if that was taken during a torture test and the CPU doesn't spend its life at 100% load constantly it did take it out of the danger zone... Man that is a fast processor for back in 08 of course it was nearly $1500 back then.
It
Did you ever update the bios on that board? Could be sending too much voltage and creating extra year? Heck is that CPU supported officially by the board? Maybe it can't take that much heat? See if you can drop the voltage a tad bit and lower your temps a bit.

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Its a socket 775 board but I did socket 771 Mod to the CPU and updated the microcodes on the board to support Xeon chips. The micro codes arnt totally upto date but the BIOS functionality shouldn't be affected I don't think. Yeah I guess your right as it doesn't spend all its life on full load hopefully it wont destroy the chip! I'm annoyed because I have overclocked it to a stable 4ghz and its as fast as most i5's and a few i7's. The X5470 is an incredible chip considering it cost me 40 quid! lol

I think i'll just have to leave it stock and all settings on auto. I don't think it's the CPU's fault because I remember having the same issue with E8400 in the same board.

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

So will it kill the chip overtime? Max operating temp is 65 degrees for X5470. Its strange because the motherboard shows the CPU temp as 55 degrees but i'm not sure if thats the socket temp rather than the core temp.

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Temps under normal load are around 65-67 but weirdly mostly on core 0. The other 3 cores are around 58 nromal load. I've turned thermal throttling off and the fan speed is around 2250 which I think is max speed for artic freezer 13 cooler.

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Do you know of any good software to monitor the fan speed, i've used speed fan but its crap and doesn't seem to be able to detect any fan speeds.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

65'c is only the max temp for the heatspreader, not the cores, so you are within margins. TJ max for that cpu is 85'c apparently.

gadget_boy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Thats interesting as it didn't shutdown the CPU or throttle it even when it hit 100 degrees. So based on that the temperature you should go off of is the JLMax temp rather than core temps or socket temp?

Vincent12

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
@gadget_boy

Nice Mod :)))
I know it's a year ago, but I'd like to help.

There is a reason why your CPU monitor software displays a high CPU temperature. The temperature showed is actually wrong.
It shows 15 degree Celsius too high (wrong value). So it means your CPU is 15 degree cooler actually (idle and full load) :)
When you look a the screenshot of your 1st post with Coretemp, you'll see that the programm "thinks" the TJMax was 100 C for X5470

But as RobCrezz told it's actually 85 C for the X5470, and he's correct.

Here you can also check the Intel documentation for yourself for the socket 771 Xeons.
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/cpu-monitoring-dts-peci-paper.pdf
With the pdf opened please press STRG+F and type in "X5470" into the search field (without quotation marks) of pdf viewer

Then you'll see the TJMax for Xeon X5470 is 85C and NOT 100!!
To get the correct value in Coretemp, you have to set TJMax manually down in the programm settings to 85C for every core (Core #0, Core #1, Core #2, Core #3)

I use "RealTemp" monitoring software which also gets along with Core2 architecture, but also here I had to set down TJmax from 100 to 70 degree for Xeon 771 for all cores (Xeon L5430 with 775-771 mod, 2,66 GHz, 4 cores, 1333 FSB, 12 MB L2 Cache, TDP 50W)

The CPU sensors just read a difference in temperature, that the CPU is away from the TJMax.
IF TJMax temperature (temperatures for the cores) should be reached (difference = 0) then the CPU starts throtteling.
Core temperatures = (TJMax temperature) - (temperature difference readings from CPU sensors)

The TCase for X5470 is 63 C.
That's quite lower, but I'd guess the TCase is lower more easily, as the cooling plate from cooler directly transports off the heat from the CPU case and the heat itself is produced in the CPU cores anyways inside the CPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/35430/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5470-12M-Cache-3_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB?q=x5470

meganrussel

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2017
pls help me too along way,its p5qlpro and very much interested in buying this cpu 5470 mod,but cant buy costly cpu cooler,may 95wat tdp be ok,i dont wan to overclock anything,wat if i try to undervolt,wil the temp decrese,i jus do youtube internet cs1.6 ebooks opening 6-10 opera web pages at a time occasionaly,but love to download hd movies n see mostly 1080p, have gt730 ddr5 1 gb,wil buy som fans to cool the mobo (refurbished one) hope i din leave anything,thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.