[SOLVED] X5650 vs X5672 vs X5675 ?

Jun 6, 2020
Hi everyone. So, last year I bought a Dell T3500 because it was cheap and I heard a lot of good things about the X5650 CPU. I was expecting to do overclock but it turns out it is horribly expensive and difficult to do (what a surprise). So I'm hoping that maybe a cpu upgrade would make a difference. Obviously, I'm not expecting 200% performance improvement, I just want better stability in some games (basically Battlefield 1, Minecraft and some mulators). Right now I have a RX 570 4Gb with a X5650 (I know it isn´t an ideal combo), there´s a lot of stuttering in Battlefield and Minecraft running at 30-40 fps.
x5675 is around $26 and x5672 around $15 on Aliexpress

Solution
If you got your x5650 from the same fake shops, then your current cpu may even have hidden issues that are eating up cycles.

As far as your upgrade path/options, you are definitely lacking single thread performance as an i5-680 is faster, but that was one of the weaknesses with the lga1366 platform as it emphasized more cores vs single thread speed. A 5672 would give you a decent bump in single thread performance with a sacrifice of 2x cores, and a x5690/w3690/w3680 would be able to improve your single thread and keep the cores, but at a cost of a 130w tdp, so more cooling:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-Intel-Xeon-X5690/1304vs1308vs1309vs771vs1314...
Jun 6, 2020
The chip you have is fine for overclocking, its the motherboard that does not allow you to do it.
Also RX 570 might be the limiting factor for the poor framerate its fairly weak.

Yeah, I've made some research and pretty much gave up to overclocking. Mobos are rare and expensive, and heat will be a problem. That's why I'm thinking about a CPU upgrade. Im pretty sure its CPU bottleneck, because Minecraft runs almost only on the CPU, and I've tested the lowest resolution on the laggy games with almost no performance improvement

Btw the RX 570 is honestly amazing, I got it for around $120 and it surely can play.

If you got your x5650 from the same fake shops, then your current cpu may even have hidden issues that are eating up cycles.

As far as your upgrade path/options, you are definitely lacking single thread performance as an i5-680 is faster, but that was one of the weaknesses with the lga1366 platform as it emphasized more cores vs single thread speed. A 5672 would give you a decent bump in single thread performance with a sacrifice of 2x cores, and a x5690/w3690/w3680 would be able to improve your single thread and keep the cores, but at a cost of a 130w tdp, so more cooling:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-Intel-Xeon-X5690/1304vs1308vs1309vs771vs1314

You should check out throttlestop as these can be pushed into the 4ghz range and then are a lot better for modern applications and would probably solve the issue you're currently having--at least for a while until the next os bloat kills the gains.

Solution
Jun 6, 2020

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-Intel-Xeon-X5690/1304vs1308vs1309vs771vs1314

You should check out throttlestop as these can be pushed into the 4ghz range and then are a lot better for modern applications and would probably solve the issue you're currently having--at least for a while until the next os bloat kills the gains.

Hi, thanks for your response! I would like to know a little more about Throttlestop. I've tried to do some research but havent found much info about it. I don't think Throttlestop is working on my PC either, I tried to rise the multiplier but it does nothing (TS version 8.7)
Dell blocked mobo + locked cpu = no overclock apparently

Hi, thanks for your response! I would like to know a little more about Throttlestop. I've tried to do some research but havent found much info about it. I don't think Throttlestop is working on my PC either, I tried to rise the multiplier but it does nothing (TS version 8.7)
Dell blocked mobo + locked cpu = no overclock apparently
I ran into this thread a few years ago and I think all the experts are in it:

Many of them are running x56xx processors over 4ghz regularly.