[SOLVED] X570 - is it possible to control integrated micro fan?

Dec 10, 2020
After long time I would like to upgrade my PC. I decided to go the AMD way with X570 chipset and here the problem starts. All X570 boards interesting for me (for example: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE) are using very small and very noisy fans.
Before I would ask my question let me explain how I'm using fans in my PC: I'm using Speedfan (great application, I absolutely like it, unfortunately only windows compatible) to regulate fans in my actual PC where fans start spinning at 50 °C with 30%RPM and goes up to 100% RPM at 90 °C. Only exception from this are front fans that depend on HDD temperature and start at 30 °C going up to 100% RPM at 50 °C. I do not remember seeing 100% RPM of any fan, even when doing heavy rendering, posters of several gigabytes ripping, video encoding. When doing normal work fans are off and passive cooling is fully sufficient.

Is something like this possible with the integrated micro fan? If speedfan can regulate it great that will be best. If Speedfan is not an option can it be regulated in BIOS? If BIOS is regulating fans on my current board the bios regulation is not compatible with Speedfan, that would mean that BIOS must be able to read also HDDs temperatures and allow fan control based on HDDs temperature (my actual PC bios can not read hdd temps).

For the owners of X570 boards do you have any experience? Can you please look in your bios or speedfan what is possible and what not? The mainboard manufacturers are very silent about the micro fans and I'm not able to find any reasonable information.

I like silence for normal work, I prepare everything, and start all the computing processes when going sleep. If this noise issue can not be resolved I would need to use intel for my PC upgrade.

Solution
Hi Ice7.

I'm an owner of a X570 Aorus Elite and you can control your fan using 3-4 sensors on the board in the SpeedFan software in the BIOS.

By the way you can't even hear the chipset fan. It's 90% of the time not even running and when it's running I cannot hear anything from my P600S case.

I'm using 6 140mm Be Quiet SilentWing 3 high speed in this case and unless my CPU is over 65C my system is dead quiet.
Both my Aorus Master x570(for the short time I had it) and my current MSI Unify fans were pretty much inaudible. They only run when chipset reaches a certain temp.

While my PC is under load with the pump quietly humming and the radiator fans whirring and the slight coil whine from the GPU and the fan in the PSU spinning I can't even notice the chipset fan.

You can always go to a b550 motherboard and lose the chipset fan. You will also lose chipset PCIe 4.0, though you'll still have a single 4.0 NVMe direct to the CPU. Intel doesn't offer PCIe 4.0.

Hi Ice7.

I'm an owner of a X570 Aorus Elite and you can control your fan using 3-4 sensors on the board in the SpeedFan software in the BIOS.

By the way you can't even hear the chipset fan. It's 90% of the time not even running and when it's running I cannot hear anything from my P600S case.

I'm using 6 140mm Be Quiet SilentWing 3 high speed in this case and unless my CPU is over 65C my system is dead quiet.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 10, 2020
Thank you @drivinfast247 and @Nemesia for so fast answers and sharing your personal experience. My favorite is exactly what @Nemesia has GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE, but I was afraid about the noise as on the forums I have seen complaints. I have also heard one AORUS MASTER and it was extremely noisy, by open case it was difficult to have normal conversation. Seems like there was faulty series of BIOS/FANs in GIGABYTE and later they have fixed.

Thanks once more and going for the aorus elite! Maybe I will consider also the P600S as it is very nice, until now my preference on part list was Fractal Design Define XL R2.

About other fans I have already studied the headers and control options so here I'm happy about the possibilities, I was missing the knowledge about the micro fan on chipset.

Only to add some more info I'm long time using combination of Arctic fans for case and Noctua for CPU and works nice for me. When the Arctics are at full speed they make noise, but this is usually when I'm not there so it's OK for me.

@RARRAF, yes I know about fan controllers, but my question was particulary about the integrated fan in the chipset cooler and is not using any of 'standard' fan headers. So even when your video post is interesting it is not relevant to my question.