Question X570 Taichi bios advice needed

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
Im currently running Ryzen 3700x on bios version P1.80 and has ran flawlessly for a couple years. Im planning on upgrading my CPU to a Ryzen 5900x vemeer soon. I know i need to update my bios before install but im not sure what bios version i should flash to. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
You have a number of BIOS updates pending. You're advised to gradually work your way to the latest version, as opposed to jumping onto the latest BIOS version(or any arbitrary number) to avoid corrupting the BIOS chip on the board(and bricking it).

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
You have a number of BIOS updates pending. You're advised to gradually work your way to the latest version, as opposed to jumping onto the latest BIOS version(or any arbitrary number) to avoid corrupting the BIOS chip on the board(and bricking it).

Thanks for the response.

So your saying I should take 1 bios update at a time? I still wonder what bios version would support the 5900x? I have never updated bios because board has never given me any issues at all. I guess patience is the key and one step at a time.

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019

I've updated bios up to 3.61. Do you think i should continue until i reach 4.60 the latest version? I think that's 6 more updates.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Really important aspect about updating BIOS and in particular with AMD/Ryzen is to read the notes the manufacturer adds to the side of or within the header of the update. Often they will say that they are for specific CPU families, some of them will be improvements to the previous, some of them are what are called bridge BIOS. This last aspect is particularly important as it means that you cannot update the BIOS past that point without first installing it, specifically.

It is not always required to update each single BIOS at a time, read the notes on it. The reason I say this is that where it could be considered a safer method to go and do each one, there is a level of risk you take any time you update a BIOS. For instance, something like a power failure in the midst of the update can brick a motherboard. I tend to advise the use of a battery backup during BIOS updates, not doing during a storm, only while using quality USB media, etc. Messing up a BIOS update is one of the single easiest ways to create a bad situation, so don't take it lightly.

Reactions: kurdtnz

gregc

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
Really important aspect about updating BIOS and in particular with AMD/Ryzen is to read the notes the manufacturer adds to the side of or within the header of the update. Often they will say that they are for specific CPU families, some of them will be improvements to the previous, some of them are what are called bridge BIOS. This last aspect is particularly important as it means that you cannot update the BIOS past that point without first installing it, specifically.

It is not always required to update each single BIOS at a time, read the notes on it. The reason I say this is that where it could be considered a safer method to go and do each one, there is a level of risk you take any time you update a BIOS. For instance, something like a power failure in the midst of the update can brick a motherboard. I tend to advise the use of a battery backup during BIOS updates, not doing during a storm, only while using quality USB media, etc. Messing up a BIOS update is one of the single easiest ways to create a bad situation, so don't take it lightly.

Thanks for your thoughts on my situation. I havent seen anything in side notes about ...BRIDGE BIOS... Most of the updates ahead of me are AMD AGESA COMBO improvements resizable bar options, chipset fancurves, usb compatability, CCX setting rule for vermeer CPU, and finally enable AMD CPU ftpm and support for windows 11.