[SOLVED] X570 vs B550: Performance or Money?

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
Two motherboards: ROG Strix X570-E and B550-E. $40 difference. Which should I choose? I want to future proof for at least 6+ years and be able to have room (not as in space, but as in headroom) for upgrades.

Solution
There shouldn't be any newer boards coming out. Intel is certainly done with Z590. AMD might release something to refresh X570, but probably not. They might also release slightly updated CPUs (See 3000 series XT chips), but again, they have no real need to. Next on the list is AMD APUs, so the replacement for the 3000G, 3200G and 3400G.

We should be seeing Zen 3 based Threadripper and Epyc from AMD soon, that will eat up a lot of the Ryzen chiplets and it would make more sense for them to push forward with Zen 4 on a 5nm process for 2022. Right now Apple is consuming the 5nm node for their M1 chip, but it is possible we will see Ryzen 6000 mobile processors late this year.
My opinion... as for future proof, both are equal. It was said by AMD, that next gen CPU won't be for AM4 socket. And so, every CPU on X570 will also run on B550.
So, the only difference between X570 and B550 are chipset features and connectivity (assuming both are in similar quality class).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed. Same with Intel. We should be seeing DDR5 systems end of year or early 2022.

GPUs, you've got PCIe 4.0 with both X570 and B550, however, the B550 chipset only offers PCIe 3.0 for the non-CPU connected slots. So if in future you wanted higher bandwidth devices, X570 would be the way to go. (Network and Storage devices)

Maybe pick out a board with Type-C USB? Another potential add-in card I suppose.

Reactions: mxnty
Two motherboards: ROG Strix X570-E and B550-E. $40 difference. Which should I choose? I want to future proof for at least 6+ years and be able to have room (not as in space, but as in headroom) for upgrades.
It is hard to predict what will happen in the next 6 years and it depends entirely on what you do with your computer.
You may will have to upgrade sooner as the next Ryzen will not be on am4 as someone has already pointed out.
imo X570 if you think you will need the extra bandwidth for ssds and 2x pcie4 m.2 vs only one pcie4 and one pcie3 m.2 on the B550.
I'd get the B550 if I only use my computer for playing games.
I doubt you will get much faster loading time with pcie4 compared to pcie3

You get around 1 sec faster loading time in current games when running on 970EvoPlus (pcie3.0) vs 860EVO (sata)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_iJTrzOus

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There shouldn't be any newer boards coming out. Intel is certainly done with Z590. AMD might release something to refresh X570, but probably not. They might also release slightly updated CPUs (See 3000 series XT chips), but again, they have no real need to. Next on the list is AMD APUs, so the replacement for the 3000G, 3200G and 3400G.

We should be seeing Zen 3 based Threadripper and Epyc from AMD soon, that will eat up a lot of the Ryzen chiplets and it would make more sense for them to push forward with Zen 4 on a 5nm process for 2022. Right now Apple is consuming the 5nm node for their M1 chip, but it is possible we will see Ryzen 6000 mobile processors late this year.

Solution